I have a question...a concern.  I have a doctor who wants me to take SR Metformin . I am a type 1 diabetic and I already take insulin.  When I was 6 I developed it.  I have taken shots since then.  Now that I am 25 my doctor wants to see of Metformin will help me.  I am a bit overweight and not skinny like I was in childhood.  He thinks I will benefit from this pill.  What do u all think?  Is it a good idea to be on a pill along with the insulin I take?  I don't know if anyone else who is type 1 does this too.  It would be nice to know if I can be ok on both.  What is SR?  I have heard of Metformin but never with the SR in its name.  I hope someone knows about this.  I have a friend in Maine that has type 1 but doesn't need any pills to go along with his insulin. 

Hello… you are asking about Metformin SR and if you should have to have this as part of your diabetic therapy.  It is considered the best intervention for blood glucose control and millions of diabetic patients are placed on it for its non-hypoglycemic reaction.  It is considered safe for use for pregnant mothers with diabetes.  Metformin SR is metformin with a slow-release mechanism so the medication slowly disperses into the bloodstream throughout a long period of time.  The benefit to this is that the side effects are minimalized.  Metformin acts different than insulin in that it encourages the pancreas to produce its own insulin (endogenous).  If you can have your endogenous insulin doing the work, than you won’t need as much of the exogenous insulin.  I believe you will benefit from taking Metformin SR.  You will need to check it out to see if it will require less