My fiance has been clean from Oxy abuse for a year and a half now. He does however vomit, have diareah, chills, and aches at least 2 times a month. He has lost 4 jobs this year because he is always sick. I don't know what to do for him. His mom thinks that it could be permanent damage from his past addiction. Has anybody else had this happen or know what to do?

First of all congratulations to him, Opiate withdrawal is a very difficult process.

The symptoms of opiate withdrawal (like OxyContin) usually last a week.

I hesitate to point you in any direction with the symptoms of Diarrhea, Chills and Aches. Those can be symptoms of anything from HIV to gastritis.

More likely however is that the Acetaminophen in the OxyContin has caused some type of Liver Damage. That could easily be the cause of those symptoms. Do you notice they flare up whenever he eats fatty or greasy foods?

He needs to follow-up with a doctor soon.

There is no Acetaminophen in Oxycontin what so ever! Percocet does contain Acetaminophen!

Im sorry but it seems to me like what you are describing are first week withdrawals. Oxy does have much longer lasting damage but it would be in the form of mental cravings and depression not direct physical withdrawals like you describe. My guess is that there is one of two things going on. Either he is lying and still does OC from time to time then withdraws (which means that he is still trying to get off it, so you still need to support him if this is the case) or there is some other medical problem. Good luck with everything.

Yea i do agree, he definatley must be using the pain meds again for having those symptoms. sorry to say, but if you help him and get him in counseling the physical part of those syptoms WILL GO AWAY 7-28 days later

I've been attempting to get off of 15 mg oxycodones for about 3 months now...and I keep relapsing. The main reason is because of the complete and utter exhaustion I experience when I have been off the pills. Can anyone who has successfully gone through recovery and experienced these symptoms too, tell me how long this exhaustion might last? I figured the worst of it would be the diarrhea, the vomiting, the aches and pains, but to be honest, the exhaustion is just the absolute worst. I barely have any energy to do anything...I don't even just mean physical energy, I mean mental energy as well. I can barely even focus on anything at all...I'm just utterly exhausted and it's an effort even to watch TV or go online. I'm hoping this won't last very long. I've been trying to get off the meds so I can get back to work and attempt to get my life back, yet I haven't even had the energy to search for a job. When I'm on the pills I have so much energy to do everything...clean the house, search for a job, do my schoolwork. I take online college courses. When I'm off the meds, I'm like the living dead, it's like I'm in a comatose state but I'm awake. I can't even stand it. I thought I'd start to feel like a human being again once I got clean and off these things, but I've never felt so awful in my entire life. I'm hoping someone who has gone through this could give me some idea of how long this torture might last before I start to feel like my old self again. Like the person I was before this horrible addiction started. The person I was back in 2003. I'm hoping she's in there somewhere...lol, just trying her hardest to wake the hell up..lol. Thanks for your help and advice, it's greatly appreciated. :-)

lindsay06:

Hey! I had quite the time getting off these pills myself, although I was on a substantially higher dose of 500mg/day. I've been on them for around 1.5 years and have tried so many times to go through withdrawl, but unsuccessfully. I even tried to taper off of them however, if your an addict and a doctor gives you a bottle of oxys and says take these over a weeks time, you will probably have them gone in a day or 2. Anyways, I just got sick of it and went to a detox clinic. I was there for 7 days and the first 3 days were the worst.

If you cant get into a detox clinic, then request to get medication from the doctor to ease the symptoms. I was taking a few Clonidine per day (lowers BP and prevents sweats, shivers, edginess) and Seroquel (anti-psychotic which helped get rid of the anxiety and helped me to sleep). Seriously! These are the only things that I have found to work. I am on day 8 now and stopped taking all the meds 4 days ago. I feel fine. Just bored outta my mind because I was used to being ripped all the time, but thats easy enough to battle. Hope that helps!

Good Luck! Oxy's are one the worst drugs to get off of and if you make it through the hell of the first 3-4 days you have accomplished something to be very proud of. Whats four days of hell compared to a lifetime living in it.

Day two of Oxy withdrawals... Been on Oxy almost 3 years as had 3 major back operations. Now it seems that the 3rd one finally succeeded (though the 2nd one went south after 2 years, only 4 months from the 3rd one) But majority of the pain is finally gone and I kinda stopped oxy cold turkey. Kinda means I tapered down from 240mg/day to 60mg/day and then stopped cold. I know the withdrawal symptoms as I have been reducing the doseage time to time that the pills works better. Been cold ever since I stopped. Going to sauna (as I am in Finland and we all have them :-) and even that doesn't take the chll away. Can't sleep etc, but nothing that I am not aware of or nothing that has surprised me. My biggest hate goes to doctors, who give you Oxy, NOT TELLING what they are and how hard it is to get rid of them. I know I'll be ok and I can stand everything withdrawals throws my way, but I know that there are many people who can't and are on the circle for ever.

How wrong was I? I came down way too fast and the withdrawals beat me. Never ever have had that awfull 2 days. Then I needed to go back to Oxy. That was pure HELL, times 100000000000000. Now I am trying to reduce the dosage very slowly. Let's see how that goes...

Wish me luck...

Hi I have used Oxys, roxys, Vicodin es, vicodin 10mg Pecs etc, for the past 9 months almost everyday. 2 days ago I made my self stop, the past 2 days have BEEN frikkin A NItemare!!!! The 3rd day i feel alot better but still feel the effects of the withdrawl. How long will the depression and the withdrawls last? Also is there something out there that will expidite the withdrals to end faster?
Please help
pepper

I wish there was an easy way. Read about suboxone. It is supposed to be a good drug for helping with withdrawals. I have noticed when quitting the oxy, that caffeine greatly increases withdrawal symptoms and stimulates the "creepy crawlies".

I have to quit oxy the month - the third time I've quit in the last five years. Due to a serious permanent injury, some doctor always talks me into starting it again, then I have to beg and plead with him to fill them regularly. I get tired of the roller coaster and not having reliable refills and decide to give them up. So, I know it's hard. Hang in there. It's worth it. The symptoms will go away and you'll wake up feeling good soon!

Suboxone is again just another narcotic and would only serve as a substitute for oxycontin and would develop a tolerance from that, resulting in withdrawal symptons as well.

I recently came to a split in the road and had to choose between using oxycontin or living a normal, productive life as a contributing citizen. Withdrawals are terrible and we can collectively agree on that. However, what other options do you have? Jails. Institutions. or Death. Unless you would rather choose to psychologically or physically commit suicide this will be a simple choice.

The only way to completely escape this addiction is by buying in and sustaining from the drug for a lifetime. Start working on some new hobbies. I like creatine and lifting. Feels Good. Stay strong and tough it out; I know I will.

I am on day 10 of being sober from oxy and norcos. I tell you I havent slept in 4 days and I still have to work 45 plus hours a week. It sucks bad but I know damn well I dont want to go back to haveing a freaking pill run my life. It was hard to take vacations because I alwatys had to get enough meds to last me through the trip. I hate slaving to a freaking pill and I know this battle is hard but I will overcome it. I went to a 7 day detox recovery center that was awesome help. It was hard but it helped. They had me on subutex (4) the 1st day, (3) the 2nd day, (2) the 3rd day, & (1) the 4th day. After that I was cut off from them. Subutex helped me out alot but I am still under going withdrawals. I was on norcos and oxy for a good 5 years straight every single day. I took 12 to 15 norcos a day and a couple oxy. I couldnt go one day without. Also this addiction will cost your sex life greatly. I have been sober for ten days and I can finally please my wife the right way. I am so happy. I mean the love making is so much more intense and fulfilling. I wouldnt trade it for nothing.

I tried quiting many times it was hell,honestly I was depressed for a month straight,withdrawals are nothing compared to the depression,sometims the depression is so bad it hurts,it feels like a ball in your chest,one day I woke up after a month of punching a clock from the moment I woke up to the moment I closed my eyes,I had no depression,You have to excersize stay focus and you def need a girlfriend for support that cares for you.I am back on them because after months and months of not doing them I said whats taking one pill going to do?,do not I mean do not even think of taking a pill if someone offers you one just start running away,so here I am starting from scratch but im a fighter and I will make it,yes I know my grammer sucks

I'm off of Oxycontin for the second day, and feel like I'm going to croak. I did it myself, which is probably not that great of an idea. The worst part is the crawling feeling and the cold and hot sweats. Anyone got an idea what would help with this? I can't sit still, can't sleep, can't think straight and am majorly depressed to the point of not being able to get off of the couch. I hope tomorrow is better. Don't think I could stand another night like lastnight.