I've been on oxycodone for years for injured and deteriorating lumbar, thoracic and cervical discs. Currently I take 30 mg oxycodone 4 times daily (sometimes more depending on the day).
This works very well for my pain and restores (mostly) my ability to perform daily activities.
My problem as of late is sleep. My sleep is interrupted due to pain - it affects my being able to fall asleep sometimes and without doubt gets me out of bed BEFORE I am fully rested.
My doc prescribed methadone hcl 10 mg at bedtime to help w this.
My question/cconcern: will this affect the relief I get from the oxycodone? Reading the various opinions on the net about the [question] vary widely right to left. I am 5'8", 155 lbs.
Any suggestions, experiences will be appreciated.

Hi tj pilot

I am prescribed the same two medications for pretty much the same back disorder that you are dealing with. To answer you question about the methadone affecting the relief you get from the oxycodone .....  As long as you keep your dose of the methadone fairly low you should be OK and not notice any lesser effect from the oxy. If you are just using at bedtime you will defintely be fine. I personally have noticed that it was when I started taking higher doses of the methadone that my oxy started to become less effective. I find methadone to be very helpful. As I said keep your dose fairly low and your oxy should continue to work the same for you.  Wishing you the very best.

May I ask in what order you take this combination ??

Also.. What made u increase the 'done to a point where it made the oxy less effective.

If anything... Aside from sleep; I am hoping it might extend my oxy supply.. As i, like many of us run low approaching refill :(

One of the issues I had with the oxy is just how fast I built up a tolerance so eventually I chose the methadone as my primary pain medication. It works well for my type of pain (neuropathic) and is very long acting. So the oxy 30's that I take now are used for breakthrough type pain. I take 20 mgs of methadone 3 times a day and usually take around 6 of the oxy 30's as needed throughout the day. The oxy still definitely helps and along with the methadone It usually keep my pain under control.
But yes...you will hear people warning you about methadone and how difficult it is to go off of. So it is certainly a personal choice and something you should discuss with your doctor. If you are looking to stretch your prescription of roxis...... taking a small daily dose of methadone will assist you there in my opinion. :)

TJ your dr did you a favor putting you on the methadone at night it is a much longer lasting pain medication than the oxy,I was only o n the oxys and hit my donut hole in my insurance and told my dr. I couldn't afford 1300.00 for 90 oxy 80s so he switched me to methadone and for 180 it was 26.00 next I was worried about the strength difference between the two but quickly found out that the methadone was better all around .Hopefully if your like me after awhile you will want to take the dones alone as your main pain reliever,let me know how you make out,bob

I'm just wondering in which state (or country) you live to get prescribed this pain medication. I have been suffering with lower back pain and neck pain for years, and over the past 2 years I developed a torn ligament in my right shoulder rotator cup, which is constant pain that doesn't go away...I've been to several doctors, but the strongest medication they prescribe me is vicodin 7.5, which doesn't help at all...I'm 60 years old and would like to be painless for just a few days....Thank you for your help.

any pain management doctor can help you.

NO! It should help you. Methadone only blocks receptor when taken in 100+mg daily. Peace.

worse 2 drugs u can take i was on both still on methadone but getting off slowly i take the pain anyday over the sickness that comes after ur done

Try a pain managment doctor i was on oxys for 2 years got up to 30mgs 3 times a day i built a tolerance so got switched to methadone 10mg 4 times a day. It def last longer pain wise. Try finding a pain mqng doc have ur primary refer u to one. Im in Louisiana by the way lol

No, you will find and I am sure he knows this that you will find very few Drs anymore who will prescribe 180mg of oxycodone and the methadone with it. Trust me I live in Florida and things have changed. I am one of the few left that still are being prescribed 180mg a day and that is without any long acting to go with it...You will find drs who prescribe the methadone but not both anymore. And less and less are they prescribing the 30mg oxycodone and put a limit now of 120 mg a day.

i am in oregon, i get 120 mg of methadone a day and now the pain is breaking through so i as my doc if he could give me something  for the breakthrough pain he gave me oxycodone 10 mg each 8 hr with my 4 methadone  10mg every 8 hr . i am going to ask if it is safe to take 20 mg  not 10 mg for i just are having to much breakthrough pain still . i have been on the 10 mg methadone for at least 8 years and it just don`t hold up for the 8 hr no more . 

I know this is off topic but I live in ohio and have had crohns for 22 years with the new prescribing laws here my doc said he could not raise my dose of methadone to 50mg a day like he was going to.  He suggested to try someone in indiana since they have less restrictive laws but I dont know where to start if anyone could point me in the right direction so I could get a name to my doc for a referall that would be great.  preferably a doctor in eastern indiana

Pain docs?? their perscribed meds?? "Doctor assisted dependants!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As the patient; former pro athlete: pain mgmt for 14+YEARS!! last 2(for neck and back) 4-30 mg roxies and 2 ..10mg methadone at night...shifted to NEW pain doc...he REDUCED me to 4-20 mg roxy and 2 10mg meth...HOWEVER?????????? Within 4 months?? BOTH shoulders NEED Replacing and left knee replacing!! MRI proven!! He, the pain doc..WILL NOT INCREASE dose!!! I can NOT afford the luxury of: 3 surgeries 3-4 months EACH of REHAB and MEDS!!! Oh, NOT to mention my SPINE!! And it's NEEDING FUSSIONS!!!!!!!!!!! 8 hour surgery and 1-2 YEARS REHAB!! Yes, MOST docs?? "Mengele?" add to that? gestapo dea and fda..comments??

I also live in Florida moved here from Alabama several years ago. I didn't know how strict the laws had become until I had to try to find new doctors and was told I would have to see more than 1 dr to even get what I was previously on prescribed. When I lived in Alabama I saw 1 dr a family doctor that prescribed my pain meds, adderall, and Prozac but when I started looking here I found out the laws had recently chg and would have to go to pain mgmt dr and then a psychiatrist to get others only after seeing a regular dr to get referral. In the mean time Al dr had let me go and it was the biggest pain and ordeal I've ever had to deal w in trying to find another dr. Supposedly it was too easy for ppl to come from other states and get scripts and fill in their state. So other states caused so much problems that Florida dr aren't allowed to write those type of prescriptions unless they are certified or pain mgmt dr. In my opinion some of the pain mgmt dr esp here seem more like overpriced drug dealers. Because u have to pay $200-300 for initial visit and that doesn't even guarantee they will even prescribe u anything. Then they only want CASH not check, credit or debit card cash only!! Then won't accept insurance if u have it and u still pay $150 for each visit afterwards and that's every month. So u tell me what that seems like to everyone else. Now don't get me wrong not all pain dr r like this luckily I have found one that's truly awesome and doesn't do this kind of thing. I feel very fortunate bc I suffer from migraines and most dr and ppl don't really consider this a medical condition. But I can tell u it is and it can be very debilitating and having 3 young kids me having a quiet place to rest is not an option. And without the help of my dr I wouldn't b able to function some days! I can guarantee that the ppl imposing all these rules and regulations on us don't care bc if they needed any type of medicine they would be able to get it without any problems! It's the rest of us that suffer from their decisions!!