Hello! I enjoy a cup of green tea now and then and I’ve recently read that it is very healthy too. I mean, I knew that it is good for me before too, but I was surprised when I saw how wide the scope of its influence is. I also read that there are some studies that show that black tea is even better. So what would you say who would win in green tea vs. black tea?

Hello! I would just like to say that, interestingly enough, both black and green tea are made from the same plant called Camellia Sinensis and just differ in their method of preparation. Black tea goes through a process of fermentation and green tea does not and therefore it is less processed and retains more chemicals of the fresh leaf. Green tea is said to be good to fight bacteria and prevent their mutation, and is also considered a good antioxidant. Black tea is believed to reduce the risk of a stroke. Which is better I really don’t know, I simply enjoy the green tea better. Maybe someone else can tell us which is healthier?

Hi! It is a good habit of yours that you drink an occasional cup of green tea. What’s more, many recommend that you should drink at least 4 cups a day to reduce the risk of cancer. As far as the black tea is concerned many believe that it has less health benefits than the green tea. It is proven that black tea looses some amount of the anti-oxidant substances (EGCg) during the process of fermentation but, on the other hand, it has more theaflavins and thearubigens- the substances that also benefit our health greatly. I would say that the issue “black tea vs. green tea” still hasn’t been resolved.

I agree with babbl1757 in that it is recommended to drink at least 4 cups a day. I would say green tea is much better because it has a much higher amount of catechins, which gives green tea most of it's wide-ranging and powerful health benefits. Black tea (because it has been fermented) doesn't have as many catechins, so because of that, the health benefits of black tea are not as wide-ranging.

Black tea does have some very important health benefits, but it doesn't even come close to green tea. Green tea also has less caffeine, about 25 mg an 8 oz cup. Black tea is double that, at about 40 mg a cup.