I had my twin boys in June 2008. I gained 56 lbs and lost all but 5 lbs of it before getting the Mirena inserted in August 08. I had constant bleeding for 8 months, not heavy but medium. Now it has been a year and 8 months and I have 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off. It is light but there for 2 weeks. I am tired all the time and moody. I have a lot of cramping and pains in my pelvic area. Since getting it inserted I have gained over 20 lbs (most of it in the last 6 months) and I feel so bloated like I over ate even when I haven't eaten at all. I am pretty busy running after the twins; I don't always eat the best but I have always maintained my weight. I have an appointment in 5 days to get it removed. I too would love to hear some stories of people that have it removed; do you lose the weight and if so how quickly. Do you feel more energy right away? Thanks.

I also have the Mirena. After my 4th child I was back to my regular weight. I am very fertile and did not want anything permanent done. I look back at my picture from 3 years ago and I have gained 20 lbs! I have never ever weighed this much. After reading all of this I am thinking about getting it removed too. But I love it because I have not had a period in almost 3 years. I only spot now and then after intercourse. So I may just try to exercise and see if it works. It could just be me. %-)

I hadn't put two and two together until just recent. In October 2005 I had the Mirena put in thinking it would be best since I had reached an age where I should no longer take the pill. Well by this point I had lost 143lbs while on the pill. I weight 310lbs back in 1997and got down to 168lbs only to slowly reach 200lbs in the 5yrs. I am very active, eat right and worked so hard to get where I was. Then The IUD came along and so did the weight gain. I counldn't for the life of me figure out why I was gaining and could not loss it. I have gained 30lbs in 5yrs. I was/am still doing everything the same. Well my 5yrs was up in June 2010 and like a fool I went and had a new one put in not knowing that the cause of weight gain was/is the IUD and the sore breast to go along with it. Nothing that my Dr. informed me of, I am going to tell my Dr. to take it out and possibly get my tubes tied. I am fearful to get tubes tied because I always thought that in doing so I would gain weight as well. Does anyone know if this is true? I just turned 40 and don't plan on having anymore children......Please tell me that the weight will come off once the IUD is removed and that having my tubes tied will not put weight on Thanks..........

i wish someone would write a follow-up re: if you lost weight after having iud removed. thanks... anyone? anyone?

Ok so i had my first and only child in sep 09 she will be a year n a few days. I had my iud put in 7 weeks after she was born. I gained 60lbs while i was prego :'( i had lost 30lbs n four days from water pills. That was all water well i still have 30lbs left. I have went to the doc for depression and weight loss. He never mentioned that both could be because of this iud. So my doc perscribes me diet pills i stop drinking pop eating junk n start eating healthy. I havent even lost 1lb but i also havent gained any weight from eating bad things i just stay the same weight .so i ask sum friends one said after hers was removed after 5 years she lost 30lbs. Another. Said she lost 20 right after it was removed. So although i loved thats its doing its job n i dont have to worry about getting pregnant again im getting it out. Also i discharge a lot n im sick of buying panty liners n having to ware them everyday. Part of my depression is this weight that wont go away but i do recomend the iud and would get it again right after another pregnancy. Im super scared of getting pregant again i wanted to wait 2 years so im hopeing the pill works for me this time around. So if u just had a baby n dont want to find out ur pregnant at ur 6 week check up be safe n and i would recomend the iud untill ur ready for another baby. It does work diffrent for everybody.

I had the Mirena for about 1 1/2 years. I was lucky, no problems (other than the weight gain), and I loved not having the periods. I gained 17 lbs over about 6 months, while dieting and exercising and trying to lose weight (so frustrating!). Tried going off Zoloft (w/ doctor's approval, of course), lost 12 lbs (still had to work at it), kept it off. After a while of not really trying, decided to go back to the diet to lose 5 more lbs. and exercise and GAINED 14 lbs. again. SO FRUSTRATING to see the scale go UP when you're working really hard to lose. And it may not sound like a lot of weight, but I'm short, and I was overweight to begin with. Tried eliminating other meds I was on (Prilosec, Zyrtec), and a cortisol supplement my doctor recommended. Had my thyroid tested. Nothing. I finally had the Mirena replaced with the Paragard. That was about 4-5 months ago, still can't lose to save my life. That being said, I firmly believe everybody's body is different and others could react differently to having it out. Replacing it was not as painful as I feared, and I've had a good experience so far with the Paragard. The periods are still heavier than what I used to have pre-IUD, but they lightened up some after a few months. And I've had hardly any cramping. Though I've been lucky, there's plenty of horror stories out there about Paragard too, I just wanted to let everybody know it's not automatically that bad for everybody. Good luck to you all!

I had my mirena iud in for 6 months and loved the fact of having no periods but hated the fact that I gained so much weight. I had it removed today so hopefully I will lose these pounds I've gained. Luckily we don't have to pay for iud's or other health care here in England so we are free to pick and choose what we want when we want. It hadn't crossed my mind that people in the states had to pay until I read a previous letter. I got a copper iud fitted today and I shall update you all in a couple of weeks to let you know how Im faring.

I've had my mirena three weeks and seem to be gaining *a pound a day*. I am heavier than I have been in years, and am really freaked out. I think I am going to have it removed, this is not normal, and I am not doing anything different than I have been all along. I'm not the most active person in the world, thanks to my job, but I don't eat that much and am careful about what I eat. This is not normal or right. :/

Wow I had the iud inserted in oct 2009 and I gain 20 pounds I ask my friends that if they had the same problems and they said no.. BUT AFTER READING THESE CO..EMENTS I TRULY BELIEVE IS THE IUD. I GET VERY ANGERY AND EMOITIONAL. I barely don't want to have sex with my husband. I look at my self in the mirror and crybecause I eat food that don't cause me to gain weight. Hopefuly. When I removed the iud I can see what's the problem is it the iud or is me not treating my body rite. Thanks

I 2 thought I was going crazy - my story is one of 6 years of suffering, I gained more than 35 pounds! And can not live with the person I
Have become - always angry and moody - like thousands of other people around the world!! Why do the doctors
Refuse to acknowledge our symptoms??!! They look at you as to say - well lift your lazy but! And stop eating!! They think
Your not telling the truth when you claim that your diet has not been changed, in fact I eat even more healthy fOod
Work out even harder! Pushing away my loved ones with my rollercoaster of emotions! - I to would love to read your
Stories after having it removed! Because I just had my second marina removed today - why would you ask!! Why
Have a second one inserted after having so mush trouble? The thing is I did not know who or what the culprit was!
So I'm hoping!!! And think to be realistic about this expecting a change only after a few months! As I pray on to you
For recovering and healing - please do the same for me - and PLEASE if anybody seen better results after having it
Removed - I'm sure I'm not the only one who are desperately waiting to hear from you!

>;) So here's my comparable story about Mirena...

I asked my doctor about birth control methods, after I was given my options my doctor said many girls/women prefer the IUD-Mirena. Apparently girls/women choose this method because once it's in, besides check ups, they don’t have to 'worry' about remembering to take it and the side effects are minimal, compared to the Depo shot. I asked about the weight gain like many of my friends experienced when getting on certain BC pills and mainly the Depo. Again, I was informed I may gain a few pounds but its not likely I would gain more than ten pounds and it was very likely I'd lose that soon after. Everything sounded ideal to me so I made my appointment.

In May of '08 I had my Mirena placed, which was very uncomfortable. I was grateful I decided to have a friend come along because immediately after having it placed, I felt absolutely terrible!!!!!!! I could hardly walk because of the awful cramps. As soon as I got through the door at my apartment I just made it to the bathroom in time....without getting detailed, I'll just say i had stuff coming from both ends and it was not cute!!! I took a shower and tried to rest but the pain was still unbearable. Within a few days, the pain went away. I've always had lighter periods with little PMS, upon receiving the Mirena, my periods became dark spotting maybe one or two days a month with more severe [for me since I wasn’t used to it] cramps. After the first few months, the PMS disappeared as well as the spotting.

Fast forward to February '11 and I have to get an ultrasound to find the placement of the device since doctors cannot see or feel the strings. First of all, I've been to several doctors for a reoccurring "bladder infection/UTI". Instead of having a period I started having bladder infections every month for a little over a year. I had to see a doctor each time for medications. After seeing the same doctor who wasn’t trying to solve this issue, I switched a total of 4 times. To this day I have yet to find the exact problem from a Doctor's point of view but thankfully I only have full on bladder infections about every two or three months now.

Along with the bladder infections I've experienced weight gain. When it was placed my weight was 112lbs. (possibly a little under weight, I'm 5'6") Now I am at 147. I am an active 20 something with great healthy eating habits. All this time I've attributed the weight gain to stress. I have been very reclusive and depressed. I've lost and quit jobs because of the terrible anxiety/nervousness I've accumulated. Not to mention my relationship has nearly ended a few times because of my attitude, whether it be being extremely sad, sensitive, pissed off, annoyed, pushy or antagonistic. You name it, i experienced it and took everyone down with me. I am currently in counseling because I've become so depressed and basically shut myself off from the world. But that’s not the end of my side effects!! I've experienced severe bloating where on top of the weight gain, my stomach is so bloated I look about 4 months pregnant. Its uncomfortable to sleep, walk and sit. Having sex is almost not an option anymore because its so uncomfortable. The discomfort from the pain of bloating, being self conscious and just a lack of interest. After I got the Mirena I lost my sex drive almost immediately. My boobs are still on the small side as my weight gain went straight to my hips, thighs and belly but my boobs hurt all the time. I've also experienced (on a regular basis) feeling like I need to throw up, lightheadedness, BAD acne, body hair growth and rough scabs coming and going.

I know I'm writing a lot and every one may not have all these symptoms but I wanted to be as thorough as possible because I went from being healthy and NEVER in the doctors to always bouncing around different doctors to find the answer to what’s causing these problems. I don’t know why it didn’t occur to be earlier that all these issues could be coming from the Mirena. I just assumed my body was going through changes. (which could be the case for SOME of my problems).

Anyhow, wish me luck at the ultrasound and removal. I will be sure to keep everyone updated!! Thanks to everyone who has contributed on this website and others similar. It's helped me come to a realization that this thing is NOT good for MY body!! Good luck to everyone!

Hi every body! I've been writing as a guest. for you who are wondering how soon you start to feel better, and how soon the weight comes off - i had my iud removed 8 days ago! it wasn't as painful as the last time, but still quite uncomfortable. I've had a bid of discharge and a little bid of bleeding - but after 3 days it went away. I've been feeling tiered and slept more than usual - but I've learned to listen to my body, and nap when I can. I have a theory about this iud - and that is that my body thought to be pregnant - all the same symptoms the weight gain, moodiness, sore boobs........ so now my body is acting in the same way after being pregnant - i have cramps in my uterus, the tiredness and so on, BUT I feel much better!! much less moody!! and although I haven't weighed myself, I can feel my clothes fit better. My periods haven't returned yet, but I can feel it coming! so over all my feeling is that I've definitely made the right decision to take that alien out - and refuse to have any thing to do with contraceptives that use hormones!!!! - I'll keep you up to date on the WEIGHT LOSS!!

Thank you all for your posts. I felt like I was going a little crazy when I couldnt not work out why I had put on weight >;) I always have to keep an eye on my weight, but in the last few months I have been extremely good, always working out and eating very well. I have had the Mirena in for 4 months and have gained 5 kg. I have also experience increased miagrains and moodiness. Lately I am not sleeping well either. I am now going to get fitted for a diafram as I am sick of what hormones do to my body. Regardless of what the doctors are saying, its obvious the Mirena does have side effects and they are enough to make me not a fan of it. Hopefully now the weight will come off and I am thankfull that I found these posts so I didnt keep gaining unecessary weight and feeling depressed :-D

I am a huge fitness person and watch what i eat as well as train everyother day. I got the Mirena hoping that like my birth control i would not be physically sick, which i was not. But i have gained 9 pounds, i have not been this big since i had my son, 4 years ago. I have always been very slim. Also I have been very depressed, and negative. Here is my opinion, BC tricks our bodies into being pregnany. Naturally our bodies store fat and water to assist in the pregnancy. Every BC i have ever been on has made me gain weight and no matter how much i work out or eat healthy. nothing works. So I am going off of it. I hate not fitting into my clothes and feeling down, if i wanted to go through pregnancy again, i would lol.

I have been struggling with weight gain for last couple of years and now I truely believe it started 4years ago when i had iud inserted. I knew early something wasn't right but my dr told me that it was just what happens to us in our 30's so I even asked her to do some blood work on me....I just knew something wasn't right but was told that all my test were good. I was always pretty thin and i did gain a few pounds in my early 30's but after getting the iud in the weight came on fast and I use to eat fast food everyday at work and now I cook everyday at work (chicken breast, fish, etc) and am excersising more than ever before but still...bigger than ever before. I seemed to be skinner when I ate bad and did nothing for exercise, and now I work my tail off and eat soo much better and am about 30 pounds bigger than i have ever been. I always have this bloated feeling about me. So glad I got to looking into this and found all of you (there are other sites with other women complaining of same things). I feel like all my efforts are in vain right now. I will follow up and let u know

I have an appointment to have it removed on the 26th of this month, and for the 1st time in a very long time I have hope and feel that I'm not doomed to live in this body that is NOT mine!!!