Hi there, I aggree with you, that some times we only hear the negative, my gyne also tried to convince me that the Mirena had nothing to do with my weight gain, and he also said that people only write about the negative and after having it removed, and I did not loose any weight, I almost believed that.... but a full year after having it removed, the weight start dropping, and now 2 years after having it removed, I am still my normal weigth, (before the Mirena)... it takes a long time for the hormones to get worked out of your body, but if the Mirena works for you and you dont have a problem with your weight, or any of the other symptomes, then wonderfull!!  good luck and God bless.

I am so glad that I have read you ladies post. I noticed that I was gaining  a lot of weight with this IUD as well i have gained 30 pounds since I have received the Mirena, but I have also notice at the end of last year that I was getting a watery discharge and kind of a funky smell but not so much as a fishy smell and I had read someone else post who said that they were having the same thing going on... but I can not deal with this thing anymore  so it has got to come out asap

I'm a mother of 4 and have weighed around 140 most of my life (5'7"). Since the Mirena IUD, I have gained almost 10 pounds in 8 months time. I never gain weight very easily and I have tried everything to lose weight, only to the see the scale creep up and up. My kids are 6, 4 1/2, 3 & 18 months old and we have a 2 story house...so you can only imagine how much chasing around I do with all these kids and stiars. Anyway, I'm seriously thinking about having it removed. I have a wedding to stand up in for my sister and I'd really love to loose some weight, but have not been succussful so far! VERY frustrating! Good luck ladies!

Had my iud placed 11/15/11 today is 3/1/2013 and I got my iud out today! I'm very happy everyone around me thought I was crazy saying the iud was doing all this to me but it changed me and not for the better. I had crazy mood swings mad all the time flipping out over everything. Then the weight gain, I thought I was gaining because I was so depressed but only till last month did i start putting it together that the iud had to have something to do with all this. I'm praying I go back to normal and I hope it happen's fast! 

Oh my! I read your post and I almost exactly have experienced what you have. I have had the Mirena for 6 years and 3 months. I had it for 5 years and got it replaced a year ago December. Since this past October '12, I have gained over 30 lbs. my breast size has grown two sizes and I am also 5'2" and the heaviest I have ever been as well. I also suddenly have had cysts on my ovaries that I have never had before. I am getting my Mirena out tomorrow. I KNOW this is causing all of this and I cannot gain any more weight. I am so depressed and upset about this and also if I don't lose the weight, I have to have a breast reduction done. Good luck to you and I am so excited to get this out of me! I didn't think it was my Mirena initially because I never had a problem with it before, but now suddenly, everything points to it.

I have had my Mirena for 3 1/2 years and have gained 40 lbs I have been exercising since jan and not drinking hardly any Swiss or liquor and I have only lost 4 lbs in 4 months! I have never been this big but after I have read this I am getting it taken out just so I can see if it helps me lose weight I will post in a month with results

I know its late but I had the funky smell and discharge too. I have gained 30 since i had the Morena put in 4 years ago. Last month I got my period for 1st time in 4 years and bad cramps. The bad so as bad as labor pains. I'm having ultrasound next week and I my IUD removed yesterday. The Dr said the discharge was yeast.

Hello I also had a IUD put in (2008)after having my lil girl. Now I have always been the smallest in my family. Now I'm the biggest. Before my baby I was 160,now I'm 250,and it driving me crazy! When asking my doctor about the pounds I was picking up she said that it was not from the Iud.so I kept it in. But today I had it taken out .because the five years was up.never again!!!!

I don't care if you are a doctor...the Mirena IUD does cause weight gain! I very rarely reply to a post, but it just made me angry to read yours. My life has been hell since the painful insertion of this device. I am going to have it removed. You can state all the facts you want, but you are wrong.

I am thankful today that after reading all of your posts this past weekend that I got my mirena removed today. I have three kids and I was on my third mirena. I weigh more now than I have with any of my pregnancies and I crave food like I am pregant. My stomach sticks out like I am pregnant and I have had people as me how far along I am which is the most hurtful thing! I cannot wait to get my life back and feel good about my self again. The doctor didn't question me at all and actually seemed like he wasn't surprised by my request to have it removed. He told me the horomones should be out of my system with in a week. 

I just want to thank all of you for sharing your stories and making me feel like I am not alone! 

I am also fertile and didn't want anything permanent. But my boyfriend is very well blessed and it was rubbing against his private part during sex causing tearing, so I had it removed. And as soon as I did, I went from 205 lbs down to 186 lbs in about 3 weeks. A size 14/16 down to a size 10/12

I never realized it ,but the 60lbs I gained have been over the 5 years I've had the merena . Doctors say it doesn't cause weight gain but now I'm sure it does. Getting mine removed today . So for those of u who have taken it out , did u go back to normal weight ?

Wow, I was starting to think something is wrong with me.  I have gained nearly 20 lbs since having my Mirena inserted in 08/2013!  I was already battling a weight issue at 165 and 5'-2", but have always been able to drop a few pounds here and there.  I was on oral contraception for many years and was able to manage, up until 2013, my weight, even loosing 20+ lbs.  Now, a total different story. 

I have become so consumed by my weight gain that I even when to the doctors to firgure out what was wrong.  After numerous blood test, aside from now being OBESE, I'm fit as a fiddle!!!!  I joke that I can gain weight just looking at food, but I really believe it!!!  In the past 2 weeks since seeing the doctor, under his advise, I was to drink a basic green smoothie for breakfast to help with weight control.  Two weeks later, after losing 3 lbs, I've gone back up.  I try walk 10,000 steps a day, work out at the gym, nothing!!!! 

I have sent a message to my gyn to discuss the option of removing the IUD.  I'm willing to take the chance and see if this is the issue?  While I love the fact that I have little to no periods (best thing ever!), I'd sacrafice this to have myself back! 

I am 40 years old with a 15 and 18 year old....fearful of getting pregnant again, but even more fearful that my weight will break me down to nothing!

I will update this in hope that maybe I can add to the validation that YES, Mirena does cause weight gain!  If if works great for you and you have not experienced these type of side effects, I think that's great!  Envious actually.  But today I need to decide for myself that this maybe the path I need to take!!! 

Today I removed my Mirena after a year. In that time I gained on weight 15 kg, what is horrible. From clothes size 36 to 42. I have big hips, ass and my tights are huge. And my belly looks I'm pregnant. I don't fit in any jeans because when I put them on my super muffin top is there. Maybe for some women is size of breast F ok, but I can't wear normal bras, only the ugly once like grandma's wear. I'm on diet, already 7 months, Pilates 5 times a week, sweating like a pig and I lost ONLY 2 kg. So for me having Mirena was not the best decision. Now I waiting to loose all those kilos which stick to me.

Hello everyone. I'd like to share a few tidbits of my iud story. I had my daughter in summer 2001. I got Mirena in 2002 and kept it for 5 yrs, got another Mirena the same day of the other's removal. Kept it another 5 years. No periods and no mood swings, but I gained about 70 pounds in 10 years. I removed it and took a break. My hubs and I used no protection (p.out method) for 1 year. I installed Paraguard because I didn't want hormones anymore. Lost a TON of weight but got scared of the dangers I researched. Paraguard made me a crazy lady! I removed it myself after 5 months because my doctor was booked for 2 months straight. It was VERY easy and pain-free.

September 2015 I went to planned parenthood (did not want to wait for 3 months for an appointment) and wanted Mirena again. All they had was Skyla, so I took it. This thing was more evil than ever! I gained 20 pounds in 2 months, I bled for 4 months straight and my periods resumed and never stopped on this thing. I had depression, didn't want to cook, do laundry, didn't want to get out of bed even to use the restroom, etc. I researched again and I made an appointment for the next day to remove it. This was yesterday am. Today I am bleeding lightly. Any IUD is bad for me, and I'm sure it's bad for many other women, as I would NEVER suggest an IUD.

My husband and I will begin trying for #2 in December (I want a September bundle of joy) and we will use condoms until then. I'm done with synthetic hormones in the pill or IUDs. Please research my ladies and make an informed decision before you decide to get this thing implanted. Please, please do.
Thanks for reading Xoxo.