Does having your gallbladder removed cause weight gain?

Although there are many people who complain about this, there is no link with having gallbladder removed and weight gain.

There are some indirect links like:

After having your gallbladder removed, you may eat all the foods you weren’t allow due to gallbladder attacks. After being real careful about your diet and eating only low fat foods, any fat will certainly cause weight gain. That sounds like the most logical explanation.
Other cause could be not moving and exercising after the surgery.

You should definitely have your thyroid hormones checked to see if everything’s running smoothly or just see a doctor, report your problem and see what they might suspect or tell you

Having your gallbladder removed can be associated with weight gain. A lot of people experience this, actually. 

It helps to eat a healthy gallbladder removal diet; fruits and vegetables, lean meats, whole grains, fish... Stay away from anything fatty or sugary and add foods back into your diet gradually after the surgery. You will also do better with smaller meals more often rather than eating too much at once, and of course, you do need to make exercise a part of your life. Even so, however, your metabolism will have changed and some people struggle with weight gain. It is good to consult your healthcare provider if this happens. 

My name is Ashlee and I am 13, I am having my gallbladder removed and I would like to now if I will lose weight after I have my surgery? ?

I had my gallbladder out 6 years ago. I did gain weight but had alot of digestinal problems. I have been able to lose weight off and on but it seems like more on than off.

HI MY NAME IS SANDY, I AM 19 YEARS OLD AND HAD MY GALL BLADDER REMOVED. SINCE THE SURGERY, I HAVE LOST WEIGHT. I AM NOT SURE IF IT IS BECAUSE OF THE SURGERY, BUT I HAVE MODIFIED MY DIET AND NOT EATING ANY HIGH FAT FOODS. I FEEL GREAT NOW THAT I DONT SUFER FROM SUDDEN PAINS ANYMORE.

I gained about 15-20lbs in my mid section.

I had my gall bladder removed last year as symptons were getting worse and started to gain a bit of weight, but I put it down to my lack of exercise, but I had the marina coil fitted about five months ago and althouth its working I have piled it on, especially around my middle, to the point I took a pregnancy test.... negative. I also have an underactive thyroid. I use to have a flattish stomach, now im this bloated pot bellied thing that can hardly get my shoes on. Im 5'4 and weight 14 stone. Doctors say not the coil or the removal of the gall bladder should cause this so im at a complete loss as to what to do. Anyone else had this??

I actually have to answer this because I have had my gall bladder taken out & it's been a while since I have had it out like a couple months but I have to say that I have totally lost weight & gained weight it's weird I cant keep it at a normal weight but I mean it's fine I weigh sometimes 114 then I weigh 118 I don't know it's weird but I guess that has to do with not being used to having an organ you used to have there

I am 16 years old and i am having problems with my back and stomach! i fit all the requirements to have my gollbladder taken out! i just want to know a little before the surgery! is the surgery bad? how long are you sore after the surgery? and will i gain or loose weight afterwards! i have read comments about gaining and looseing so i am confused! so if you can just let me know about any of my questions! i am a little scared! :/

hello my name is kayla and i just had my gallblader removed after months AND MOTHS OF HELL nobody believed it was my galblader untill i got addmited into the hospital and thank god doctor kim took a chance but any waysits been a week and teo days since ive had my gall bladder out and to answer some f ur question that was the worse pain i have ever felt in my life and i dont wanna scare u im just telling u the truth it feels like some have just riped ur whole stomache open and if u do get it taken out they will do it by laperoscapy }sry i dn think i spelle that right} its gonna just depend on each person how long they r sore for im still a little sore now hear n there but the first three days will b the hardest n then u shld start to feel a little better eachday as for the weight loss obveously its to soon for me to tell but im confussed as well i really hope i lose weight if u want we can keep n touch in i will keep u posted im 20 so were not to far apart in age i hope ive helped kaykay

Hi I am 44 years old,my name is Lisa, I had my Gallbladder out 3 days after I turned 40', I never new I had a bad gallbladder, it just hit me, and one night I thought I was having a heart attack. Anyway, ever since I have had nothing but trouble with weight, I know that I am in my 40's and could be going through menopaudse, but I am telling u I have gained and lost, mostly gained, no matter how much I try to exercise, or what I eat, and I have always been, cautious, of everything I eat, and in getting exercise, I definetly think it changes something. I have heard that some people lose weight , of course that couldn't be me.. Maybe someday they will be able to explain this. ;-)

I'm 46yrs old. I had my gallbladder removed 2 years ago. Since I had my surgery I've noticed that I've gained a lot of weight. Especially in the mid area. I've tried eating healthier foods and walking 30mins a day. Nothing seems to help. I just keep putting on the weight. The Doctor told me that after I had the surgery I could go back to eating what ever I wanted and I didn't have to worry about gaining weight. Well! That Doctor, although very nice was totally wrong.
For as long as I can remember I've always been at 115 to 120 even after 2 pregnancies I went back to the same weight. I've never been a person to worry about my weight. Now, its really bothering me. I look in the mirror and I can't believe what I look like. I bought new clothes to fit my new big body and now I can barely even zip up my pants. I wish I knew what to do :'(

Really, you are going to blame the surgery for your weight gain?? After you have admitted to eating whatever you want, but it has to be the surgey, because there is no way your metabolism has slowed down right/??

[It is because of the IUD Marina! I had one of those in and gained 20lb. get it out. My friend who weighs 114lb. has now gained 5lb. and has one in. It tricks your body into thinking you are pregnant. It has hormones in it. You will feel much better without it!