Hello! My best friend’s brother suffers from muscular dystrophy of face and shoulders. This is what she told me as I haven’t met him. ( we live at campus). I would like to know what the symptoms of this multiple dystrophy are. Thank you

This type of muscular dystrophy is called facio-scapulo-humeral (FSH) muscular dystrophy. A feature of FSH is that it is usually asymmetrical. This means that some muscle groups on one side of the body are stronger than they are on the other side of the body. These are some of the following symptoms considering the face: the eyes appear to be slightly open when the affected person is sleeping because of the weakness of eye closure muscles. There are less facial lines due to age than usual especially during speech. As for shoulders and arms the muscle weakness may lead to protruding of the shoulder blades, reduced muscle bulk between the shoulder blades, difficulty or inability to raise the arms, weakened ability to bend and straighten the elbow because of the weakness of the upper arm muscles. There could also be symptoms associated with lower limbs and back like: foot drop due to weakness of muscles in the front of the leg, weakened ability to straighten the hip joints. Deafness is also a common problem in FSH muscular dystrophy.