Hey everyone. I am worried for my mom. Lately, she is not feeling fine. She is very nervous and in some constant pain. I can’t even talk with her because she is nervous. So I hope that you can help me a little bit since she doesn’t want to go to the doctor anymore. When I asked her why, she told me that she is tired. She is having very slow heart beats and because of it she is feeling weak every day. But in the past couple of days, she started to have weakness in her leg that is followed with the pain.

Can you tell me what are the possible causes of it?

Thank you!

Hello there. It can be anything and it can be very serious. This is not a situation where your mom can joke with her health condition. Those are definitely symptoms of some heart disease. Cardiovascular diseases is caused by narrowed or blocked blood vessels that prevent your heart, brain or some other part of your body from receiving enough blood. Definitely women are more likely to have symptoms such as shortness of breath, nausea or weakness. Some other symptoms of cardiovascular disease can include : chest pain, shortness of breath, numbness and weakness in your arms and legs. That might be the same case with your mom.

Hey you two,

A few years back I would have considered this being caused by some sort of a heart problem, but I think that something else is in question here.

There is something called muscular dystrophy, it is an inherited (genetic) disorder causing muscle weakness. There are different types of muscular dystrophy, which vary as to how severe they are, ranging from very mild to severe. The different types also vary as to what age they begin. If muscular dystrophy is suspected, tests can help to make an accurate diagnosis. Other people in the family can also be tested to see if they have a muscular dystrophy gene. Muscular dystrophy cannot be cured but there are various treatments which can help.

Hello everyone,

I think you are right, Adria, although I'm pretty sure that that wouldn't even cross my mind if you didn't write it.

There is a type of muscular dystrophy called Emery-Dreifuss muscular dystrophy that sometimes affects a part of the heart which controls the heart rate. This may cause a slow heartbeat (called heart block) and symptoms of tiredness, giddiness or fainting. It can be easily treated with a heart pacemaker. For this reason, regular heart checks are recommended for people with Emery-Dreifuss MD.

This condition would also be a good explanation for your mother's weakness in her leg that is followed with pain.

Hey everyone,

I just read your posts and I don't think that this lady has a muscular dystrophy. I know something about this condition as well and I think that she just has this type of arrhythmia called bradycardia. 

There are a few types of slow heartbeat (or bradycardia) and these are heart block, Tachy-brady syndrome and Sinus Node Dysfunction. Regarding what you wrote in your post above, MakeMeCoffee, I'd assume that your mother has the first type I mentioned, heart block. It has three levels, three degrees, and I think that she has the second degree of heart block since she has pain in her leg.

Hello everyone,

I believe that your mom could have both of the conditions that people above mentioned, so I think that it would be smart for you to visit your mother's doctor. If she doesn't want to do it, then it is up to you to go and talk to him and tell him about your mother's symptoms and her behavior.

Since you are going in place of your mom, be sure not to skip anything when it comes to your mother's current condition. Tell him everything that you told us, and you can mention as well the things that we wrote for you here.

Hey.

Older people are so hardheaded when they need to visit the doctors. It is really alarming situation. Weakness in leg really means that something is wrong with her and especially when she has pain in her leg. That means that something is wrong with her heart and that she needs to visit her doctor as soon as possible.

I don’t know what is your mother’s current condition, does she have any other problems but anyway, doctor really should be her first option.

It doesn’t matter because she is tired of visiting the doctors…

Trust me, I know that feeling.

Good day everyone.

Wow, so many different opinions and I do believe that every argument is correct. But I will tell you that it is a bit hard to figure out what this can be. Maybe it is nothing, but it is not worth of taking a risk, right? I believe that she has problems with her heart for a long time and slow heartbeats can be cause of anything. But weakness in leg followed with pain is something that worries me. That is why you need to find the way to send her to the doctor just to be sure that this is not too much dangerous.