My 13 year old son has hydrocephalus and has a vp shunt. In the past few months my wife and i have noticed that he is haveing uncontrollable finger movements on both hands and involving all 10 fingers eradically, now to the point that he is tapeing his fingers together at school. He says that it is starting to make his fingers muscels and joints sore. He had the shunt put in when he was 8 mths old, followed up by 4 revisions all within 3 months after. He has been a perfectly normal and healthy boy, other then being 5'10" and 185 lbs, he is your typical 13 year old. He has started asking a lot of questions and i can tell he is getting worried, and for my wife and i, its scares the hell out of us. My wife is setting up an appointment with a neurosugeon this morning, and i quess im hoping that some one out there will have some information that might be helpful, and encouraging.

Thank you for any help given,

VERY WORRIED DAD 

Hi worried,

Unfortunately I do think you have reason for concern.  There is a possibility that the shunt isn't working correctly.  Muscle spasms are common in older children.

His neurosurgeon is his best resource.  Get him in as soon as possible.

Please keep us posted.  Good luck.

Medic-dan, thank you for reply, will post the the findings in a few days