So last night was the first day that i ran in over a year, and since i'm actually intending to continue running and train, this is really the first day running since November 2000 (when my senior cross country season ended in college).

I ran two miles. Yikes! If i said that two years ago, i might be embarrassed since i knew that my races were 8ks and and the team's warmup/cooldown totaled 2 miles (not counting the workout). But right now i actually understand where i am and what kind of shape i'm in and i feel more pride in starting to run again than i feel shame in what i couldn't do.

The first mile that i ran went fine. After 10 steps i felt as if i could run 10 miles....and then i realized i only ran 10 steps. I calmed down and just went at a nice, slow, even pace. I held that even pace for most of the first mile and got to the mile mark (otherwise known as a stop sign). I stopped there for a couple seconds (this was the one planned stop) and turned around to go back.

While the first mile was good, this second mile hurt a bit more. I could feel twinges in my knee which means that i need to do more exercises to keep my kneecap in place, and i was feel worn. Sadly, i had to stop 4 times on the way back in. I can't believe i had to stop 4 times in a mile, but that's what my body said i had to do.

I finished the two miles, though. Phew. I made sure i stretched very well when i got back to my apartment, and i'm only a little sore this morning. I feel a whole lot better than expected and i'm excited to run again tonight (only one mile tonight).

Wow...i'm wordy.

WTG Pug!

Listen to the body, you know you're doing it right. Congrats on starting to run again and welcome to the board!

Great, it must feel good just to get out there and know you're on your way! Good luck!

Shelly

I'm SOOO happy for ya, Pugster!!!!

You did it! Woo hoo! Now keep going with that momentum...be smart and RUN!!!

First: Wordy but great report! and I believe I have the record on wordyness, no worries!
Second: Great attitude, I love that first line I highlighted--more pride in starting from where you are at rather than trying to re-achieve past victories on your first steps out the door. This is huge. Props to you for that!
Third: I've had the same knee cap thing--ouch! Take care of that bad boy!
Fourth: Major :thumbsup: for just listening to your body and going on that, rather than letting pride injure yourself just to get that mile in or whatever. this has been a personal battle for me
Overall: huge :thumbsup: and :banana: You rock!

Good job Pug. Just got to keep plugging away and you'll be able to blow through two miles like nothing. :banana:

Hang in there, like PH said, pretty soon, two miles will seem like nothing

Thanks for the encouragement. :)