I used to be very fit and ran around a 19 min 5K during XC season when I was about 15 years old. Since then, I have stopped running, and have become very fat. I am now 18 years old, and I don't even know if I can last 3 miles.

How do I become fit again? How much do I need to start running each day?

Gotta walk before you run, no?
That's the most common way. What I recommend is get out the door and start daily walks of a couple miles and work your way up to three mile walks. Maybe that'll take you a week, maybe more. Then start running the last half-mile of your daily three miler. Do that a few days, maybe a week. Then bump it up to run the last mile of your daily three miler. Do that for a week or two. And keep going up a half mile by half mile. It might take two or three months, but you'll be back up to running three full miles. Then from there start taking a couple of those daily runs and moving them to four and five milers. That'll get you in the groove of hard/easy days with longer/shorter runs alternated. But the biggest challenge is going to be and shed those extra pounds. It is going to take probably somewhere between 20 and 30 miles per week before you see the scale fully cooperating. So don't be discouraged if during those days you are logging 3 miles that the scale isn't going down too quick..just be happy it's not going UP. And once you crank up some of those alternate days and then even start adding a real long weekend run to get the weekly miles up toward 30 and even beyond, you'll find the weight will go and the pace will step up too. That 19/min-5km is still in those legs..you just gotta dig it out! g'luck :thumbsup:

what jrjo said.

good luck to you!