Hello folks. Looks like you have a great site here and I look forward to learning as much as I can. Quick background: Almost 31 year old married father of two who 3 months ago decided to get serious about being a healthy person. In that time I've dropped 20 pounds and went from not being able to run a mile to the point now where I'm averaging 24 miles a week and can do my 4 mile run in just under 35 minutes.

I ran cross country way back in high school, and I come from a family of runners...so it's in my blood, which is why this has become an obsession. I run every night on several routes that vary from 2.5 to 6 miles. I've only done the 6 miles once, but I finished it strong and felt great, which is why I signed up for the Seal Beach, CA 10k (sealbeachrun.com) near my house.

Now that the day is almost here, I need some input on what I should eat the night before and the morning of. I would assume a banana would be okay a few hours befpre the race? How much water should I ingest? I have no idea on what to eat the night before...I'm assuming something light and high in complex carbs? Any suggestions?

Any other tidbits will be greatly appreciated. I feel I'm ready otherwise.....taking friday off and am shooting for a time of under an hour. I'll have my cheering section (wife, 3 year old son and 1 year old daughter) so the motivation is there. :)

Thanks in advance for any advice.

First of all, best of luck and congrats! Once running gets in your blood, you'll never get it out!

Second: what do you usually eat right before a run? I wouldn't change or alter that too much.

As far as the night before, a lot of people do the carb thing--but I'm not sure if that's for a 10k as much as for a half or a marathon. (I've only done 5ks)

Welcome aboard!!! I hope your race is awesome!!

WEll, I usually run around 6pm...or right before dinner. I try to eat a snack like a banana right after i get home from work to give me some energy for the run....so I guess I should do that.
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm nervous as hell but excited too. :)

Be sure to do a race report so we can share in your fun! I always enjoy reading those!

Aire is right - stick to routine. Go with your banana if that's what you are used to. A lot of people will eat bagels or something similar - I eat cinnamon toast. Assuming your race is in the morning, and you usually run in the evening, you might want to consider getting up well before you need to, just to have time to wake up. But that might not be necessary since I'm sure the nerves will wake you up more quickly too. It's good to eat light and healthy the night before. Just about anything will be fine as long as it's not really fatty. And you might not want to try any recipes for the first time. Just go with something simple that you enjoy. Good luck!

I think you should eat a big plate of spaghetti the nigiht before for dinner, and a big bowl of cereal with fruit in it the morning of.

(at least thats what I do, and i do pretty well) :)

Hmmm, well we'll see how I feel...but I am planning on pasta tonight. :)

Butterflys in the tummy are getting to me a bit, but thats okay. Did a strong six miler on wednesday night...so I know I'll finish.....just hope to finish strong. Race report monday morning. :)

So, how was it?! Was it great?!!! :wiggle:

Alright......finished in fine form.
Total time: 54:46
Mile 1: 9:37
Mile 2: 9:01
Mile 3: 8:34
Mile 4: 8:37
Mile 5: 8:59
Mile 6: 8:49
.2 mile: 1:34

The first mile would have been faster had it not taken 45 second to even get across the start line. Miles 4 and 5 were all into a head wind.....so that was a b***h and a half.

Overall I'm very happy with myself. No physical pain other than raw nipples. Felt really strong the whole race and felt like I could have doubled the course at a slightly slower pace...so with a little more training I'll be ready for a half marathon.

w00t!!!
Congrats! Now stick around the RiffRaff for some fun!

wow! great job! i just got back from a trip, going to start running again wednesday (possibly tomrow)

wow, great first 10K for you!

splits are very even and if you feel you finished strong, you're right on target with your training. congratulations!

:banana:

Great job for a first 10k!