This was my first race since I started to seriously train for Madison. I was a little anxious about it, after all I am in the best shape of my life since early HS and I am running ~32 mpw, if I don't see improvement I will be quite disappointed. The weather was a lot warmer than it has been here lately. 22F/ 11WC/ SW13mph. The sun is shining and most of the race takes place in a park so we are shielded from the wind. This race starts on top of a little hill and also finishes in the same spot. My first mile I was cruising along (I have a tendency to jack rabbit start most races) and clocked in a 7:32. I though this may be a little fast so I slowed down and ran at a comfortable pace. I clocked my second mile at 15:06. 8O not much slower but I was feeling very strong at this point. A few people had pasted me up to this point and I didn t want that to keep happening. On our way to the 3rd mile marker we ran across a suspension bridge and that was a different feeling. Mile 3 I clocked 22:50. I slowed down a little but wasn t too concerned at this point, after all I still had to finish up the hill. At this point I started to pass people. (I really like that part ) The 4th mile was all against the wind. I crossed at 30:40. Only 1 more to go so I hunkered down , my legs were starting to feel a little heavy at this point but I just smiled and had at it. At about the 4.5 mark this guy came up to pass me. I looked at him and said I guess it is you and I to the finish. He said he could deal with that. We ran together for the next .3 of a mile and then he pulled away. In the process we passed a group of 4 other people. I made the finish line at 38:05. That is a PR by 2:07 minutes. I was pleased as punch. I am now so pumped about my training, this is the mid winter boost I needed to keep going.

Readers digest version. 8km 38:05 PR by 2:07minutes

very nice run,
I have the same tendency as you to hit the first mile a little too hard but sometimes you just need to go how you feel...and not let that first split psyche you out....from the look of your finishing time, it doesn't appear that that first mile was to fast at all!

great job!

---
megawill

kick butt pr John nice job

Over 2 minute PR!! Way to go!! :thumbsup:

Way to go!
:banana: :banana: :banana:

All that hard work is paying off.

You rock!
:cheers:

UWMers kick ass!

Great job! Congrats on the PR!

Great report! Congrats on the fab PR

Nice job! I am proud of you for keeping up with things. Come Spring I hope to join you again for more runs - still nothing like running with someone else!

-Randy

:thumbsup: Nice job. :thumbsup:

Congratulations on your PR! :thumbsup:

Guess we should change your name to PR Brewer!!! Way to go, dude!

Great Runl!!!! Geez how do you expect me to hang with you in Madison??? 8O Seriously great job and it will give you a boost with your training not that your not already kickin' butt. Looks like Randy will have to have that beer alittle quicker for us at the finish!!!! :cheers:

Great run Paul. Way to smash that PR! :banana:

I'm not sure I want to do the half in Madison. All you speedsters are gonna have all the beer drank by the time I finish!

Every time I turn around, these boards are getting faster. Good goin! A couple minutes off the old PR... a nice warm day in shorts and that'll be worth a couple more minutes. Shapin' up verry nicely!!