I was just wondering what people's typical week looks like. I've been using a format for over a year now that seems to work well for me and has led to some good improvement in my times. The components I plug into the weeks change depending on which "period" of the periodization I'm in. And after a marathon I like to take 2 to 4 weeks of a combination of active and complete rest.

As background, I tend to focus on longer races 10 mile to marathon, and am a believer in high mileage (I understand that is a relative term). Understand that this is an ideal week - life happens and some weeks I end having to take a day off or cut back on mileage. Finally, I try to listen to my body and do ease up when I feel I'm breaking down or hitting a rough patch.

All runs are done in the morning before work. I've tried in the past to do doubles on Tue. and Thur. but obligations too often seemed to get in the way, so I gave up on doubles.

Monday - 5 to 7 miles at easy pace
Tuesday - 9 to 13 miles including either track intervals @ VO2 or hill repeats
Wednesday - 5 to 7 miles at easy pace
Thursday - 9 to 13 miles including some sort of tempo sections
Friday - 12 to 16 miles @ a little faster than easy pace. This is my "medium" long run. Pace and distance varies depending on how I'm feeling after a tough Thur. run.
Saturday - 5 to 10 miles at easy pace.
Sunday - 17 to 24 mile long run

I'd like to hear how others like to structure their weeks and what has worked/not worked for them.

Cheers.

I'm sort of in the midrange mileage-wise (40-45+ mpw) right now although I want to increase my base to 55-60 by mid summer (starting May) in preparation for a fall race season. Right now I'm training for a couple of short-mid-distance races this April (5k, 10k). (plus I'm swimming quite a bit) So far for the last couple of weeks my weeks look like this:

Mon: 4-5 miles endurance (i don't have much time on Mondays)
Tues: 6-9 miles mid-long run (easy)
Weds: Intervals
Thurs: 6-9 miles mid long run (easy)
Fri: 4-5 miles endurance
Sat: Long run 13-16 miles
Estimated total mileage: 40-45+
Sometimes I alternate intervals with a short tempo run on Thurs (I alternate weeks) so my mid-long run will be on Weds

However starting next week until the race in mid April, (4-5 weeks) the schedule goes like this:
Mon: 4-5 miles endurance
Tues: Intervals (anywhere from 6-8 miles including warmup and cooldown)
Weds: 6-9 miles mid-long run
Thurs: 3-6 miles tempo
Fri: 6-9 miles mid-long run
Sat: Long run 13-17 miles
Estimated total mileage: 40-50 miles
I prefer doing Friday's workout on Monday (and vice versa) but I currently do not have much time on Mondays b/c of school until later this month so I have to make do with it at the moment.

The schedule for base this summer is different. For details see my thread in the Midpackers forum:

Right now it's about like this...

Mon - 6.? miles - a little harder than easy
Tuesday - 4 mi. easy AM - 5.? miles easy PM
Wednesday - 6.? miles - tempo
Thurdsay - 6.? miles - easy
Friday - 10 miles - long tempo run
Saturday - 8 miles easy
Sunday - 12-15 miles - LSD

I'm hitting in the mid-50s each week. If something comes up and I miss a run, I don't ever try to make it up.

Add in 150+ MPW of cycling and a couple of days of lifting and that's my training schedule.

i also use the periodization schedules. running being a cross trainer too so take that into consideration

Saturday=day 1
36-45 miles 65-75% HRM

Sunday
5 mile run (new) 75-85 % HRM
8-12 mile skate 50-65% HRM

Monday
6 miles bike commute low HRM
20-28 miles skate technique and fartlek

Tuesday
6 mile bike commute
3-5 mile run-or low weight on legs-or aeroebic/total body class
might have to move to creat an extra rest day

Wednesday
either 6 mile bike or 8 mile skate commute
20-25 miles skate fartlek

Thurday
6 miles bike commute
Heavy weight-plyometric-or aerobic/total body class

Friday
6 mile bike EASY EASY EASY
rest day

For now, I have completely gotten away from a hard/easy schedule, and run moderate every day. On days when I go longer (8 maybe) I'll go slower so the effort is about the same as a short, faster day. If I feel especially good one day, I'll crank up the pace a bit, and I try to do mile repeats once per week.

I little more typical week from my pre-injury days looked like this:

Monday - AM 4-5 miles easy, PM 6 miles easy
Tuesday - AM 4-5 miles easy, PM Short intervals (400 to 800m)
Wednesday - AM 4-5 miles easy, PM 6 miles easy
Thursday - AM 4-5 miles easy, PM 10 miles hard (tempo'ish)
Friday - AM 4-5 miles easy, PM 6 miles easy
Saturday - 5 x 1 mile
Sunday - 16 to 20 miles long

This totalled around 90 miles per week.

Since I am tapering down my miles are going down, but after my 50K I am looking at

Monday: 6 Miles
Tuesday: 10 Miles
Wednesday 6: miles
Thursday: 8 miles
Friday: 10 miles
Total: 40 Miles

My current pace is down near 8:00 for my 6 to 8 miles runs and around 8:15 or 8:30 for the longer runs

And after a marathon I like to take 2 to 4 weeks of a combination of active and complete rest.

Cheers.

Without answering the question about what my training week looks or looked like, readers of these forums would do well to read this young bloke's post again.
Well done Mate, this approach to training will have you running even better times LONG into the future.

When I ran, I ran M-F. Friday typically was my long run for the week (8-10 miles). Wednesday was my second longest run of the week (6-8). Monday, Tuesday and Thursday were usually a base run of 4-5 miles with hill work.

I also lifted Tuesday and Thursday evenings, and Saturday mornings.

Right before I hung up the running shoes, I was cycling 2 days a week, (Tuesday and Thursday) for cross training.

Now I ride the bike or on the trainer 5-6 days a week, with varying days off.

my week is pretty much-----run, run some more, and some more....run a little longer than usual, and finally run a little faster than usual

j/k when marathon training my weeks look similar to yours----except that Friday would no doubt be broken into 2 shorter runs as I only like to do one long run and two other double digit run in one week...with one being easy and the other being some tempo/max/lt. Plus I only like to do one hard run a week (I don't count long as hard). I know many like to do the vo2max and a lt in a week....I tend to start out with vo2max and go toward lt as the marathon approaches......but I'm old and need lot of easy, recovery days :(