Does anyone else find that they have a substantial pace difference between running early AM and noon/evening times?

I've been running in the early AM (5:30) during the summer but since it has cooled off a little, I've been running at lunchtime and sometimes in the evening.

The other morning I can a 6.5 mile route in the AM and then the next day ran it in the PM with the same effort both times and my pace was almost a minute faster in the evening than it was in the morning.

Anybody else have this problem?

Most definitely. Most of my AM runs are races, and I think that is the exception to the rule. The body tends to get stretched and loosened throughout the day, which always helps. I feel much more comfortable and can usually run farther and better in the evening. I think it is all what you are used to as well.

Yep. If my schedule allowed, I'd run in the evening all the time since that's when I feel the best. Just as Randy says, simply being up and about all day gets the creaks out and your muscles ready to roll. My favorite race of the year is a Friday night 8km. It always feels good.

In my own schedule, I purposely use the early morning run when I need to keep it slower, say on a day where I'm logging a long run. I'm just not able to hammer any decent pace at 6am, so I'm able to keep the early miles of the long run in check. And days I need to log a tempo run or reps on the track, I'll wait until at least after noon if not possibly later in the afternoon.

The recommendation to schedule your run for the same time everyday, I feel is one of those advice tidbits for the beginning runner. Just starting out and trying to be consistent about running takes that kind of structure. But once you're a junkie like most of us, IMHO, mixing up the time of day you run to better fit the workout you have planned is one variable to throw into getting the most out of your training.

I am always very tight in the am and takes me a while into my run to loosen up. With my evening runs I rarely have a problem, so evening runs tend to be faster.

Very rarely run at night but I find that I am better in the morning than in the evening. I still much rather run in the morning though.

I am very inconsistent no matter when I run. I really never run for time or miles, I just get out and run... that's probably why if you looked at my running log you'd probably be scratching your head & wondering if I'm nuts... all my times unless I'm trying to be consistent are different. If I'm feeling peppy I'll be faster, if I'm sleepy, thinking, depressed, etc., I'm slower. Much slower. Oh, well...

I am most definitely NOT a morning runner!!!!!! Which is quite unfornuate as races are always early. We are talking 2-3 minutes difference on an 8 mile run.

I run a lot faster at night. ALWAYS

What I do in the morning cannot even be considered running. It is more like a shuffle. Sometimes I am not sure I'm even moving.

Therefore, I always run at night! I just wish they had more races then.

Thats me too. But my schedule usually just doesn't allow for anything other than morning runs so I'm not too concerned with my times. Well, and I'm pretty slow anyway.... :)