Three weeks ago I have a very hard heart surgery. I hope that everything is ok now because I don’t feel any serious pain. But I’m worried because my hands are shaking. Does anybody knows is it normal to shake after triple bypass heart surgery? Maybe I should ask my doctor?

You are probably still very weak. During first four weeks after surgery, your reflexes and reactions time will be slower then normal due to weakness or pain medications. Such a huge operation causes a huge reaction in the body. Anyway, I think that you should call your doctor and ask for help.

Hello gawen,

as dwayne said, not only is your body still weak after the surgery, but depending on other symptoms as well, I really think that you shouldn't let anything to the chance. If nothing, phone your doctor and check what he says about your hands shaking after the triple bypass surgery. I doubt that this symptom is something he would dismiss easily.

If nothing, he will probably re adjust your medication, but if it's something serious, it's important that he can react as soon as it's possible. You are not only susceptible to lot more infections now, after this major surgery, but you don't also wan't to risk anything to go wrong at this point, as well. Wish you all the best!

Gawen, I had open heart surgery July 11, 2013 to replace my aortic valve. I didn't start the shaking until they put me on warfarin. Then my legs and hands shook so bad that I could only take a few steps and had to sit down. I was only on warfarin for 2 weeks and they took me off due to a sensitivity to the drug. It is now June 23, 2014 and my hands and legs are still shaky with no answers from any of my doctors.

Hi, I had a Mitral valve replacement on 8 August 2014. Today is the fourth day that my family and I noticed my hands shacking. I have an appointment with my Primary Care tomorrow, lets see what she suggests.

You need to be evaluated by a neurologist. It is a common problem after open heart surgery and many times can be treated.
Retired MD

My father is surviving the same problem from more then 5 year's, I had visited a bunch of doc, they keep changing medication but nothing has changed yet, my father shaky problem is getting worse day by day any helping idea would be great 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private phone numbers not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use