Hi, I am just recovering form triple bypass surgery. It seems that it was not a light operation, but it is over now. Now I will have to change my life completely. I must stop smoking and deal with my extra weight. What kind of diet is recommended after triple bypass surgery?

It is very important for you to eat healthy after that procedure. We are talking about the risk of getting accelerated arteriosclerosis and obstruction of blood vessels. The food you eat must be without fat (bacon, meat), you should eat a lot of fish, vegetables, fruit. Also avoid eating a lot of sugar.

Hello there,

After triple bypass heart surgery you should have diet high in whole grains, fruits and vegetables.

Fruits and vegetables are loaded with vitamins and minerals and also are high in fiber, so you will feel full without adding a lot of extra calories and that is important after procedure like triple bypass heart surgery.

Whole-grains are also healthy and filling, which will help you control your weight but make sure that you check the labels because sometimes they can be refined. Also you should eat oily fish such as salmon and tuna at least once a week. You can eat other lean meats such as poultry but you must avoid skin because it is fatty and full of bad cholesterol. Low- and non-fat dairy products are also a good choice but don’t overreact.

Excellent article on what you can eat after bypass surgery. If you are looking to send a healthy gift to a friend or loved one who has had bypass surgery, please take review the gift baskets offered on CareGifting . The after surgery gift baskets at CareGifting have dried fruit, nuts and comfort items that are healthy, comforting and practical to send to patients after surgery.