I had triple bypass graft surgery about  a year ago and even though I did have some major issues with infection during my recovery, in the last few months I think I can say I recovered from bypass surgery the best I could. The big problem I’m facing now is constant indigestion, together with acid reflux and nausea. I’ve never had these problems before the surgery, so I don’t know what else to link them to.

I’ve even tried to go on really bland and soft acid reflux diet for a week, but no matter what, acid reflux still causes me problems. I have an GI appointment at the end of may where I finally hope to get some relief, but I was wondering did anyone else suffer the same issues after triple bypass surgery?

Mick

Hello Mick,

it does happen to some portion of patients who had graft bypass surgery that they start experiencing moderate to severe indigestion problems, mainly acid reflux. What I'd recommend you to do before you get to your GI doctor is to try to stay away from foods that are known to make acid reflux worse. Those are mainly acidic foods (lemon, oranges, tomatoes...), spicy foods and foods high in fat content. It also helps not to eat anything at least two hours before sleeping and if you continue to suffer from heartburn, try sleeping with your upper body elevated,

Wish you all the best,

Nicole

Nearly a year after my bypass surgery I also had pain in the esophagus. I had been taking acid reflux
medication so my doctor just told me to take 2 pills instead of 1. I also cut back on coffee.
My situation is now stable. All the best Mick. I don't know if you will get this message. I suspect that
the acid reflux problem is common and in fact most people I know have it even without any type of operation involved. Very painful indeed.
Ron

I had 6x bypass 18 years ago and I had reflux as a result of it (said the doctor). For the first few years they tried different pills that did not do much and I kept the Tums handy. I couldn't afford Prilosec at the time. So I got whatever the VA was using in it's place which wasn't very effective. Finally I had to buy Prilosec anyway but then it became possible for the VA to get generic and the problem was solved. I've been on Prilosec (omeprazole) for about 14 years and it's working fine.

Also suffer from indigestion , heartburn etc., after triple by pass in January last year . Have been on omeprazole since the op, tried stopping them a while ago but couldn't stand the constant battle with acid reflux so visited gp to get new prescription for omeprazole . Within 24 hours heartburn, indigestion acid reflux have all disappeared !

I had triple bypass 4 months ago and start having acid reflux 90 days after he surgery. Doctors gave me nexium 40mg, changed to another stronger medicine called dexilant 60mg, it worked for few days but reflux is not completely gone. I have been taking prilosec otc prior to my surgery for many years for acidity. I did had acid reflux 29 years ago and was given reglan at that time. I have doctor friend told me that it is common to have acid reflux after triple bypass specially if you have a history of it. I am hoping it will go away soon, of course i am avoiding foods and drinks which can cause
stomach acid

If you've only had it for a month, as you say, maybe it will respond to whatever treatment they are trying. However it is common for them to damage your diaphragm during the bypass operation which causes that. If a mechanic was to damage something that he knows is common when he is working on your car he usually is expected to fix that for free. Not so with doctors. They will offer to perform another operation to fix that ---- at your expense.

Hi, I had a triple bypass July of 2014 and have had acid reflux every since. No matter what I eat, I get it about a half hour later. I take Zantac a couple times a day. I also developed a hiatal hernia which is part of the problem.
Can there be any long term effects of taking an antacid?

I too suffer from severe indigestion,not reflux. It started about a year after triple bypass surgery.
I have tried all the suggestions, nothing works other than taking an antacid. I also had a Wipple procedure ten years ago so I know how to manage a diet for digestion.