I wanted to share with everyone my experience I had with my hemorrhoidectomy surgery.  As of today, it's been 4 weeks since my surgery. I wanted to wait a bit before sharing my story because even though it's been a success, it has not been without its ups and downs. Here is a quick synopsis(okay, rather lengthy) of my experience.

I am a 37 year old female who developed hemorrhoids when I was pregnant with my first child, who is now 8 years old. I battled them again pretty painfully durning my second pregnancy, 6 years ago. For the past 8 years, I'd have random flare ups of the hemmies, but it was nothing I couldn't handle and they would go away after a couple days. No biggie for me and I would have never elected to have surgery for sporadic flareups. However, over the course of the last year, my flare ups became more regular until it became constant battle, EVERY SINGLE DAY! Just to ease the pain, I would spend hours in the bath tub, avoid sitting down for long periods of time and my quality of life was suffering. I could no longer ride bikes with my kids or enjoy my time at the gym because I was plagued by these dumb hemorrhoids. At this point, I knew I needed to get them taken care of.

After getting a good recommendation from my doctor to a surgeon, I made my initial appointment. I knew I had hemorrhoids, but to what extent I wasn't sure. My surgeon was super nice and I felt comfortable with her. After she examined me, I learned I had both internal & external hemorrhoids and that I was not a candidate for more conservative therapies and my best option would be a traditional hemorrhoidectomy (cut & stitched). She was very honest and straight forward about the pain & recovery time involved in the procedure. She told me to go home and think about it before scheduling. Make sure to find a doctor you trust and feel comfortable with! 

The first thing I did when I got home was Google hemorrhoidectomy surgery. Boy, was that a mistake! I read story after story about the pain, all of the things that can go wrong and the agony people had with the surgery. Success stories were almost impossible to find (which is why I decided to post my story) and that was really discouraging. However, I was desperate and even with all the negative & scary things I had read, I  called the doctor and scheduled my surgery.

My surgeon was very helpful getting me prepared for my surgery and gave me a lengthly list of things I would need to get before my surgery: panty liners, stool softness, miralax, sitz bath, A&D ointment, and baby wipes. I was scheduled for surgery at 7 am and followed the doctors orders of not eating anything after midnight. I did not have to give myself any type of enema before hand, which I found a bit strange, but I trusted her.  

The actual surgery went smoothly and I woke up in recovery groggy but I felt no pain. Because I am unable to take many of the normal painkillers most would take, the doctor elected me to stay the night at the hospital for pain management. I was fine with that. After what I'd read, I would rather be there to have them help me with the pain instead at home. For pain management, I was given Dualidad, which my body did not seem to have a problem with. The first six hours afterwards was smooth sailing. It wasn't till I needed to go pee did I realize I had a problem. My bladder would not work and no matter how much I tried, I could not go pee and ended up having a catheter inserted to relieve the pressure. Still, I felt no pain in my rectum. My biggest hurdle was my bladder and I ended up staying in the hospital for two nights before my bladder decided to cooperate. 

After I was discharged and sent home, my pain level in my rectum was not too bad. I took my pain meds on schedule and that kept me in a hazy fog throughout the day. I hated the way the painkillers made me feel and what they did to my body and I knew that I wanted off of them as soon as possible. So on day four, I stopped taking them and relied only on Advil & Tylenol. I definitely felt more pain when I cut out the pain meds but it was still manageable. As for my diet, my surgeon did not want me to eat anything restrictive. She wanted me to have substantial bowel movements to help battle any narrowing of my rectum, which is serious complication after this kind of surgery.

However, never did I forsee what I was about to battle with the bowel movements. At day five, I still had not had one single bowel movement. I had always been very regular, having one, soft movement daily, so I began to stress a bit about that. I called the doctor who upped my laxative amount. Still, I waited and nothing. As each day passed with no movement, I began to feel sicker and sicker. My body wanted so badly to have a movement and  I just couldn't. I had become severely constipated(thanks to the painkillers) and I became very sick. I almost felt like I had the flu and I  knew it was the toxins in my body. I was weak, barely unable to walk or eat and the pain in my stomach was horrific. The doctor had me try other laxatives, like milk of magnesia, which made me throw up and other alternatives, but nothing. I could feel the stool in my rectum and finally the doctor told me that I needed to push the stool out and if it meant popping a stitch to do so, it had to be done. I did not want to end up back at the hospital and have them dig it out of my painful rectum. I spent many hours in the bathroom, crying, praying to God that I could pass the stools. The pain in both my rectum and stomach was horrific and at times I felt like I was going to pass out.  FINALLY, on day 10, the flood gates opened and I was able to pass some stool. The stool wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, probably from all the laxatives, but I spent the whole day in the bathroom, having one bowel movement after another. Each bowel movement hurt so terribly...it honestly felt like I was delivering a baby through my rectum. It was so intense! However, my stomach felt so much better and I began to feel normal again.

I knew once I made it through the constipation, my recovery would speed up and it did. Each day I became stronger and stronger. The bowel movements became less painful each day and four days after the flood gates open, I was even driving. It was like night and day. I stopped bleeding and had no discharge at all and no longer needed pads. My only concerns where getting my bowels movements back on track and working on getting my bowel muscles strong again(I had slight bowel incontinence). 

As of today, four weeks later, I can say I'm about 85% back to normal and hemorrhoid FREE! I still have a slight ache after I have a bowel movement, but I have no problem walking for long periods of time or sitting for more than an hour without having to get up. My bowel movements are back to once everyday, and even though my rectum muscles are still a little weak, my doctor said that would get better with time and I'm optimistic that they will get better. I have very little swelling and have one small skin tag that I got from the procedure, which doesn't bother me at all. I'd way prefer that over the huge hemmies sticking out. I'm thinking about even going back to the gym in the next week or so. 

I've had family members ask if I'd do it again, and without a doubt, I would. I would go through ten days of torture if I knew I wouldn't have to deal with the hemorrhoids again. A couple bits of advice I have:

1. Find a good doctor you feel comfortable with and trust!

2. Know that everyone's recovery will be different and that you really have to do what's best for you. Would I recommend this surgery for someone with sporadic flare ups? No! But, if your quality of life is suffering, then most definitely.

3. Realize this is going to be a roller coaster ride. You will have your ups and downs...that's just part of recovery.

Sorry for the long and lengthy post. I wanted to be thorough with my experience because I know there are a lot of questions and concerns with this procedure. I will try to repost again maybe in a month or so about how my recovery has been. Although I have had many downs during this time, the positive has out weighed the negative and I feel blessed that my overall experience has been positive. I hope I can give someone out there who is contemplating have this done some reassurance that not all hemorrhoidectomy surgeries are scary and that there is a light at the end of the tunnel! 

I too have a hemorroidectomy success story. I had mine about 5 months ago, and it was a tremendous success... I was back to normal within 6 weeks. I kept a journal of my thoughts and progress and here it is:

My Story

There are a lot of negative stories out there and it scared me to death. I am going to offer this advice, read those negative stories, but then go find the positive. There are far more negative stories on the internet, but in life, there are far more positive ones. Its just the people with the positive stories don’t post.

Reading the negative scared the sh*t out of me, but also prepared me for this. As things come up, I don’t worry, wondering if this symptom is normal, or bad or whatever. My spirits are up because how I am feeling is not as bad as it could be.

About me: I am a 48 yr old male, weigh about 160 (lost 20 pounds over the past month) I am active, but by no means in shape. Before this, I could probably run to the end of my street, but that’s about it. I had 3 large prolapsed internal hemis and one large external. I have IBS yet have lived off 3-5 sodas a day and a largely sugar diet…. I could have been Marty Brundle in “The Fly”. I spend anywhere from 20 minutes to 45 minutes at a time on the toilet… You’ve heard people call the bathroom “their library”…. That’s me, I have done a lot of work and reading over the years.

The diagnosis and treatment options: I usually have what I affectionately call, ‘constipated diarrhea”. But sometimes I do get constipated. Been to the emergency room 3 times due to being impacted.

Two months ago I went to the Doctor about my hemis and she immediately sent me to a surgeon. I read about the procedure and was instantly paralyzed with fear. The surgeon said mine were stage 4 and I needed a hemorroidectomy. He was matter of fact, told me there would be some pain, and that I would need to rest…I told him I had to think about it… I went home, searched the web, and realized that the surgery was the last thing I wanted.

I researched for days and hours and saw that they were having lots of success with the CHR o’Regan system, so I made an appointment. Over the next 2 weeks, I changed my diet completely. No sodas, no candy, no ice cream…. Tons of water (never drank it before) lots of fruits, veggies, grain cereals, fiber one bars.

I was initially seen by the Physicians Asst who said I was a great candidate for the procedure. I was elated and stayed on the diet. A week later the doctor who would do the procedure saw me and said mine were too advanced

This sent me into a tailspin, stayed on the diet but spent hours on the web. Scheduled a meeting with a collerectal surgeon who said yep, surgery. Well, you need to know I’m a big baby…. I don’t even handle needles well. I ended up in the hospital for a week when my heart kept going out of rhthym causing me to pass out. Doc said it was combo of stress, diet, and some herbal supplements I was taking.

My Story

Day 1 August 10 No pain meds today
Ok had my surgery. The doc gave me experel, I cannot stess this enough, make sure you get the experel! If your doctor wont do it, go find one who will. It’s a nerve blocker and will help over the next 24-72 hours. I feel great! I feel like I could go do anything I want right now, but I am smarter than that. It’s a great first day and night and I am in good spirits.

I don’t really need to, but I take 2 warm baths because I read it’s a good idea to. I go to bed and can snuggle with my wife. Happy Man.

Day2 August 11 1 percoset
No pain early, but I am sore, nothing major, but I can feel something went on down there. Start doing the process, lots of water, fruit, a couple of fig newtons. About 2 o’clock I started to feel some pain. I am bummed, the experel must not last as long as they said(I was wrong, read later). I take 1 percoset, not because I need it but I don’t want to take any chances for later… Everything I read says stay on top of the pain. Eating fruit and veggies, and drinking plenty of water…33oz in morning, 20 oz mid day, 20 oz late afternoon, plus 2 glasses of water with Metamucil, 1 glass with powdered magnesium. I do this everyday
.
Day 3 August 12 2 percosets
Woke up with pain about a 2 or 3, but starting to feel like I have to go, so I pop a percoset. False alarm. As the day goes, I can definitely feel my butt waking up.

Farting is an issue. Was in kitchen and went to pass gas, and had to grab counter with both hands as my knees buckled. Hard to describe it’s a pressure pain. But instant relief. If you ever had a toothache, and bit down on the tooth to get the relief afterwards, you know what I mean.

Around 2:30 I realize its time for the bowel movement.. I panic, I have no pain meds in me, so I pop a percoset and hold it in for about 30 min. Now its time. I go and….. its not too bad. It hurt. But I survived! Lot of pressure to get started, but the pain/pressure drops from a 7 to a 4/5 once I finish. Wiped with Bolneol, hopped in shower with hand held shower head, then took a bath, and rest. That wore me out.

This really starts to wake up my butt, experel is starting to wear off. With so much fiber, having lots of gas which hurts when I fart, but manage…you have to pause, brace, and then move on with your day.

Day 4 August 13 2 percosets,
Ok, definitely the experel has worn off. It aches. But not bad. Pain woke me up at 4:30, about a 5/6 not horrible but uncomfortable to sleep. Pop a pill and go back to sleep. Around 10 I feel the need to go, pop a pill, wait 20 min and tried to go. NO LucK! But now I am uncomfortable. I feel like everything dropped out of my ass and swelled. It didn’t, I checked. But, pain is not you don’t really fart, air just comes out.

Around 5pm its time. Pop my third percoset of the day, squirm for 20 minutes and then go to bathroom. Pooped a lot but survived. Everything soft, pain like day before. Feel like I ran a marathon after. Definitely don’t like the feeling, but it does pass quick.

Day 5 August 14 2 percosets, 4 tylenol
Had my first bowel movement today without percoset… Not on purpose, I just couldn’t get it in me fast enough before I had to go… and I survived. It wasn’t pleasant and honestly the fear of going is scarier than the actual pain, it ended up about a 5 or 6 level and getting in the shower and squirting water up my butt really relieved me. I hopped in the the bath later. I ached the rest of the day, but nothing too bad, I didn’t take any pain medicine.

About 5 pm I had my first complication from the surgery. I got the chills and then a fever… 1o1.7… Called the oncall doctor and he said not to worry, easier said than done. Popping the Tylenol and going to drink throughout the night…. I do Not want to be dehydrated

I had 2 really bad hiccupping spells today one around 4pm another around 10 pm. Took a half an hour to get it to stop

Day 6 August 15
Had a bad sweating episode last night. Woke up this morning and immediately had to have a bowel movement. Not ready for this, no medicine in me… It wasn’t bad, same as the others, I don’t like it, I feel pressure, but its over soon enough. Pain is uncomfortable, bout a 6 or 7 but goes away quickly. No worse than having really bad constipation.

Really good day, no percoset. No Pain. Had diarrhea, 3 bowel movements in the evening, pain is decreasing to about a 4. Some stinging at night with meds.

Day 7 August 16 1 percoset
Worked at home.. 1 bowel movement, little sore, quick recovery

Day 9 August 19 3 percosets
Oh what a day… started out great, and then…constipated diarrhea. No reason, just was. Stitches are coming out, and there is stinging. I don’t know if that plays a part or not. 4 or 5 bowel movements, incomplete, had bowel movement in shower with sprayer on my ass… Ice has never made a difference until tonight.. really helped everything calm down.

Day 12 August 22
So Day 10 was the turning point. Yesterday I had my wife drive me around town, I was getting stir crazy.
Day 15 August 25
Went out to eat today. Sitting is no longer an issue as long as I don’t have to scoot. Will head back to work next week.

September 24th
All is normal and all is good. Everything feels normal down there, and I am eating everything I ate before… My one dietary change is I drink 4 16oz waters a day, and no sodas. I highly recommend the surgery to anyone who needs it. A great doc makes all the difference.