Had my hemorrhoidectomy on Oct. 9, 2012. He did Internal banding for one cluster and full scalpel surgery and stitches for two clusters of external hemmorrhoids. Have mostly recovered from that ordeal. Today my colorectal surgeon decided it was time to deal with the 3 smaller external anal skin tags that remained. He wants the area to be easier to clean, and sometimes the skin tags are a bit itchy, particularly if I sit or walk for extended periods.  He did the procedure in his office on Feb. 18, 2013.  So far so good, but it has only been 7 hours. He gave me two injections right in the anus/rectum area. it pinched for a second from the injections but he told me I have a very high pain tolerance compared to most of his other patients, particularly men....Then I had to wait about 20 minutes for numbing to take full effect. I was able to walk around and go to the bathroom while waiting. He then had me lie down on my left side. He got me ready, then he made about 4 small snips.  It did not hurt but I could feel a pulling sensation . Then he used some sort of tool to cauterize the area to reduce bleeding, and he applied some Neosporin with pain relief, and possibly something else topical. He then put some gauze in the area to absorb a small amount of blood. I already had a panty liner so was not worried about leakage.  The cauterizing was mildly uncomfortable for a few seconds, and the faint burning smell was kind of weird, but was all all done in about 4 minutes.  then I was able to drive myself home.  I am taking Extra Strength Tylenol every 4 hours to try to stay ahead of any pain or discomfort. He said I could take Percoset if needed, but hoping not to, since I get constipated from Percoset, and I do not want to aggravate the healing process. he said no shower or bath until the next morning. He  said to expect some stinging, burning and itching while skin heals in the next week or so. I have not had the courage to look at the site, maybe tomorrow....I have had some tiny spotting in the panty liner after going to the bathroom, but so far so good.  Will  let you know how it goes in the next few days.

Six days later and healing quite well from anal skin tag removal. A little uncomfortable sleeping the first two nights, and a little itching some days, and some minor leakage while it heals, but that is it. My surgeon says I do not have to comeback for a checkup for 12 months!

Hi, I am 6 days post of H'ectomy. I am very swollen down there and just wondered how long it took your inflammation to reduce? I also haven't had a BM yet so very afraid!!

Thanks. P

First 8 days were really tough. I did start BM after 48 hours. If you are six days call your dr. As you may have an Impaction. You need to have a bowel movement soonest. Are you using stool softeners and laxative each day? You need plenty of water throughout the day/night, like 10 glasses or more each day. You also need to walk around each day to help get things moving. Laying down and standing were much better for me than sitting. Swelling started to go down after 8 days, then better at 14 days, then more normal at about 20 days. Ice packs were key. then started using heating pad at 10 days on abdomen to relax everything. This is a tough healing process but you will get there. I am now 6 months out and I also much better. No bleeding, no painful hemorrhoids, but I do need to be careful with diet, high fiber cereal every day, enough water, and walking every day.

Thank you for your reply. I am now 24 days post op and all seems to be going well. I appreciate your advice :)

I had a hemorrhoidectomy 12 days ago to treat an internal hemorrhoid. Also, a fissure was addressed. I am only 19 and its been a lot to deal with but im healing excellently! I had 3 skin tags prior to surgery but i still have them and they are very itchy and ugly. I dont want to have another surgery! After reading this, i will definitely talk to my surgeon about having them removed in his office perhaps. Thanks CrimsonTide :)

How are you guys doing now. I had hemorrhoidectomy 19 Days ago I was very swollen but it has more gone down but now it's skim tags left over from the surgery. My surgeon says he can remove them is it painful and did they come back after that. I really hope somebody can give me an answer to this Thanks.

Hi I read your post and was happy to see that the skin tags can be removed. I did surgery on 09/14/16 and it has healed with skin tags. I'm so disappointed. I feel like it has defeated the whole purpose of what I wanted to accomplish, since my hemorroids were small and not bothering me. I wanted to be able to clean myself without all the hassle of dealing with the hemorroidectomy in the first place.

The same thing happened to me. Had surgery May 17th. A month and a half later, worse than it was before surgery. So now what?

what did you do in the end? did the skin tags go away?? im exactly in the same position as you...