I am 58 years old. Last week I thought that my labia was feeling very dried out and a bit irritated and so I used Vaseline before going to bed. It seemed to relieve the dry feeling. However a couple of days ago when I wiped I saw blood. Upon inspection on the left inside I found a long (about an inch and a half) dark reddish discoloration that probably had been holding blood. It doesn't look blistery or abscessed. I have using neosporin but am wondering if I should be concerned. I haven't been doing anything weird but I have changed my underwear brand to a soft knit without a cotton panel. Would that have anything to do with it?
Thank you for any input.

Hi: When you say "nothing weird" you mean not having unprotected sex right? At 58 I am sure you already know about the WONDERFUL stages of MENopause and all the Fantastic changes that happen to your body because of MENopause? So one of them is vaginal dryness. Vaseline isn't a good one to use as it is not water soluble, so what happens it TOTALLY blocks any air from getting to the wound. So for now, DEFINITELY change to cotton underwear, wash your clothes ESPECIALLY your underpants in non scented LIQUID detergent. The milder the better! Do not use any scented products at all, including no soap. Use a base ph cleanser such as spectrogel or physoderm something that has a neutral ph level. Try to air dry as much as possible - just dabbing with a towel if needed. THEN apply neosporin or any other antibiotic cream. Don't use a pad - if you can that is. The less the better. Give it a week then if it hasn't cleared up, go to the doctors just to get it checked up on. Also you could use monistat cream, just incase you have a yeast infection. Either or would be fine? I hope this works for you, and if you need anything else just ask OK? Good luck and health!