I'm nineteen, never been sexually active, was on birth control for a year but I've been off of it for almost a year. My breasts have been...well, happy and dandy, nothing wrong with them. I don't really look at them that often, but nothing felt wrong with them. A couple of days ago I noticed that my Montgomery glands on the upper side of my areola that are usually white and bubbly looking have turned a pinkish red. They look like dry skin now, as well.

They don't really itch or hurt. My nipples are a little sensitive to the touch, but they usually are. No discharge.

I'm really paranoid about cancer, because it runs in my father's side of the family, and I'm pretty sure if it doesn't go away I'll probably get it checked out. The problem is I have no insurance, and I'm a completely broke college student, so I would prefer to get other people's opinions on the matter first.

Red, dry looking Montgomery glands on the areola, and just on the upper half. Please tell me what you think.

Hi honey! Swollen montgomery glands or itchy/aggravated ones are VERY common - ESPECIALLY at this time of year! You have the dry indoor air, you have more clothing - which starts a bacteria growth! What I would like you to do is keep them moist, get some Polysporin cream and keep them covered with it! You can use a pantyliner - cut into pieces and stick them on the inside of your bra - so the polysporin doesnt soak through! Also you could use bandaids - as long as they don't stick to the bumps! Wash the area with a non soap, non scented cleanser, and try using non scented washing aids! It sounds to me like they are chaffed, chapped and irritated, so check off each of the following culprits!

1. Scented products!\
2. Diet lacking in Oil Products - such a fish oil
3. Irritating new fabrics
4. COLD weather, more layers

This should go away in about 1 week,, just slather that cream on and keep the area well ventilated - walk around without a bra on (and the curtains closed!!!!) XD Some women get the same rash underneath their breasts, you are just getting them on top!

Also, as long as you give yourself monthly breast exams you will be fine! The only time you have to worry is of course you feel a lump OR you have discharge from you nipples - not the glands! OK? Good luck and health and Merry Christmas!

Hello, I noticed in my nipple a montgomery gland with a hair that turned out red like a pimple.
Could you please advise? I'm very nervous about this. I 've red a lot also and i 'confused

Hi honey! The glands are just like any other part of our bodies, they can get blocked and become infected! Try to use a face cloth to wash the area with a non scented product - like Physioderm, Spectrogel, Teraseptic, etc. And perhaps try dabbing on some astringent! This should take care of it! Also try and air dry as much as possible!

Thank you very much for your answer. I 'm very scared about it. I think that its cancer. I think about it all the time and I look at it many times during the day. Sometimes I sat this is such a small pimple that it cant be something bad but other times I look at it and I'm terrified. It appear as my breasts were swollen for my next period. Thank you again!

The spots have NOTHING to do with cancer honey honest! They just can get RELLY irritated from scented products, fabrics, dry skin, blocked pores etc.

Well I'm a guy, and the skin around my nipple is quite flaky and dry. I think that my Montgomery glands are the small bumps on my areola that are so itchy and painful, but I'm not entirely sure. Is this bad? It's been like this for a month or two.