My husband and I have two boys, one is two and the other is one. We are not ready to have another and would like to wait intil my youngest is two. Our problem is that my periods are completely irregular. I dont know how to predict my ovulation time when my periods are so differnet each month. They are always the same length, but never the same time apart. How do I know when I will be ovulating? Especially before the discharge happens. How long should I not have sex for to ensure I will not get pregnant yet?

It is hard to calculate a schedule when your periods are so irratic. You really should keep a calander from start to finish. Ovulation occurs roughly 14 days from the first day of your last period. So if you started your period (hypathetically) on the 1st, you would begin ovulation on or about the 14th. There are at least 4 to 5 days in the ovulation process when you could conceive. As ovulation winds down, a normal cyle for a period would begin in about 10 days after ovulation.
Have you considered going on birth control until you are ready for another baby? It would be temporary of course.
Bc will adjust your cycle and you will know for sure whats what.
If you are worried about having a hard time conceiving after using the pill, don't worry. Many women have stopped the pill and have gotten pregnant within a 3 month range or sooner.
Make sure you start your calander, you can track it that way.