I am a 21 year old female and I had my tonsillectomy done on Thursday, 1/08/09. That makes today my 5th day. So far, I have eaten maybe a total of 5 bites of food, and drank lots and lots of water. I only weigh 120 pounds to begin (at 5' 9") with and have already lost close to 6 pounds. I need to get back to normal soon!

Day 1- My surgery was at 8:30 in the morning, and I was terribly nervous. The hospital did a good job of getting me in and getting started. I had my wisdom teeth out 2 years ago, so was familiar with the surgery thing, but I was still ferociously nervous...I'm talking, like, crying nervous. The anesthiaologist inserted my IV and then gave me a does of something to calm me down, I don't recall its name, but it helped. I was then wheeled into the operating room. I don't remember much after that until I woke up in recovery. Once in recovery, I felt super nauseas. I communicated this to my nurse, and she took care of it right away. I was still in massive amounts of pain, and it took 4 doses of morphine to make the pain stop. It hurt to badly that my entire body was shaking as a result of the pain. I have a pretty hugh tolerance for pain, too. They sent me home after 4 hours, and I was pretty much too drugged up to do much. My mom drove me home and I slept in the car. Once I got home, I rested and napped. I also got a visit from my boyfriend bearing flowers, which actually really helped!

Day 2- When I woke up on the second day, I thought I was going to die. honestly. I started taking my pain meds as soon as I woke up. I am on Roxicet, a liquid tylenol/oxycodone combination. It tastes awful. I went back to sleep after a few hours because the meds were making me sleepy. I woke up around 2pm to that familliar burning in my stomach and warmth in my mouth. Sure enough, I rushed to the bathroom and threw up. Again, thought I was going to die. The vomit was mostly a brownish color, like old blood, but it was so incredibly painful. So painfil that I was in tears. After, I brushed my teeth and rinsed with some of the Pro-Health non-alcohol mouthwash. This process was repeated at about 4:30 pm as well. After the second time I vomited, I went back to sleep and slept 'til the next morning.

Day 3- Same experience as day 2, really. Right down to the vomiting and everything. My mother called the doctor after I threw up again and they prescribed me an anti-nausea medication called Ondansetron. I took it after the second time I threw up, and haven't vomited since (knock on wood). I also took my first shower today, but kept getting very dizzy.

Day 4- Woke up at 4am with horrible ear pain. Took meds, went back to sleep. Slept until 11:00am. Woke up and tried to eat some jello. Pain was unbearable, so i just drank water instead. Starting to shake and get dizzy due to both medicine and lack of food. No more vomiting today though, thank goodness. Felt like I might throw up around 3pm, but I fought it down. Around dinner time, I managed to eat a piece of bread and butter and a few cooked, canned peas. Painful, but totally worth it.

Day 5- Woke up at 10am, took my anti-nausea meds, followed by my pain meds an hour later. Drank lots of water, and I am about to try to eat something else. I'm not in too much pain this morning, but I'm also not breezing thru my day. I'm starting to get really antsy, because I haven't been outside in days, and it seems like every commercial is about food! I would kill for pizza, buffalo wings, and some beers.

I will continue to update as my progress continues....I wish everyone else good luck! I'll be happy to answer any questions anyone might have, if I can!

Day 6- Woke up, checked my throat. It was burning really bad at first, but when I checked it out, I noticed some redness around the scabs and the scabbed area looks like it had gotten smaller. The scabs also look thinner.

Tried something new this morning, I toasted a waffle and put butter on both side, put on some syrup...and low and behold! I can eat it! I gave it a few minutes to get soggy, and ooh my goodness. It was Heaven. I had to cut it into small bites and eat it very slowly, but it was so amazing. I don't even like syrup...but nothing has ever tasted to good to me. A little nauseous after eating, but it was totally worth it. I also drank some iced tea and that was good too. I'm getting realllllly sick of plain water.

After eating and drinking, I brushed my teeth gently and rinsed with some of the ProHealth Alcohol Free mouthwash. The mouthwash has been my savior lately. It gets rid of the gross taste in my mouth and doesn't hurt at all. I do keep getting the hiccups though...and those hurt. Also, has my first bowel movement today since the operation. It was very loose stool, but I guess that's to be expected. Around dinner time, I had another waffle, this frozen Peach fruit cup thing my mom got (Dole Chillers, I think, you can get them in the canned fruit section then you freeze them yourself) and some macaroni and cheese from KFC. the Mac didn't hurt to eat it, but it didn't taste normal. The peach thing was good though, nice and cold. My sense of taste is still very skewed. The pain was a little worse throughout the night, but I took the lowest recommended dose of pain meds every 4 hours. I'm still sleeping on my back, which is awful. I'm so used to sleeping on my side and sleep much better that way. :(

Day 7- Woke up today and had another waffle for breakfast. Extra soggy this time. Checked my throat after eating, because I could taste a little blood. There was a visible clot on the left top of my throat, but nothing too severe. It is a relief to finally be able to see a light at the end of the tunnel. I'm down to 1 Ondansetron so I may call today and request a refill because I know nausea can reoccur once scabs begin to loosen. I'd rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it. Otherwise, I'm feeling a great deal better. Still not 100%, still in some pain, but nothing like I was. I'm going to venture out of the house today for the first time in a week, so we will see how I feel after that. Nothing too crazy, just to the grocery store and to my boyfriends house. I'm still keeping it low key because I'm still pretty weak and at risk for infection.

I will continue to keep you updated!