Greetings,

After spending weeks poring over this site and getting so many great tips, I thought I would share my experience so far.

I had my tonsils removed yesterday with the coblation method. When I woke up in recovery I was super uncomfortable, but I just told the nurse and she gave me meds and I was ok. They also gave me a patch for nausea.

When I got home I started in on a pain management routine that is working well for me. I have liquid oxycodone and take 1/2 a dose with 1/2 T liquid tylenol every 2 hours. The pain thus far is very manageable and since I know that things will be getting a bit worse, I am eating and drinking a TON while I can. Ramen noodles in plain broth and those yogurt smoothies from the grocery store are perfect for me (not having a problem with dairy) Juices like peach and white grape have been great too. And then there is the water by the gallon.

I am running a humidifier by my bed to help keep things moist back there too. The worst thing for me is not being able to talk much because it is very uncomfortable and my kids are 2 and 3 years old and are having a rough time.. I have ice packs on my throat most of the day.

I will update as I can, but wanted people to know that, for me at least, things aren't as bad as I had imagined. At least for the first couple of days. Hoping that the next few don't get too bad.

Here I am on day 4 post op and things continue to go relatively well overall. Last night I slept through my alarm and missed taking my meds and was 3 hours overdue. It was a nightmare and I was nauseous and couldn't take anything. I ended up throwing up A LOT and then choked the meds down. I will remember my meds from here on out! It was dreadful.

This morning I was still really sore and so after taking the meds and spraying with some chloroseptic spray, I choked down some cream of wheat (very thin). So today, the name of the game is hydration, pain meds and rest.

I keep thinking that I am going to be fully recovered within 7 days post op, but after feeling the full brunt of this pain last night, I realize it might take a bit longer.

I had my surgery on Monday a.m. and it is now Friday. Ill admit that this has not been the horror that I have feared, but have had some awful moments.

I would highly recommend anyone planning this surgery to request oxycodone. I didn't realize how much it helped until I missed a dose and entered into my own personal hell. That only happened once and now I respect the pain a lot more.

What's working for me:

*Husband is taking 2 weeks FMLA to care for me and our 2 and 3 year olds so I can rest whenever.

*Splitting the dose of pain meds by half and taking them every 2 hours around the clock. This is what is making the biggest difference!

*Anti-nausea patch and dramamine.

*Ice pack on neck whever possible.

*humidifier when I sleep.

*I eat whenever possible. I like yogurt smoothies, ramen in plain broth, cream of wheat and peach juice.

I am hoping that the next 5 days will be as manageable as the first 5, but the pain is ramping up a bit.

Good luck to all!

Thank goodness for this posting site! I got so many good tips from here. I had my tonsillectomy done on 3/26/09, so I'm now on Day 16. I was diagnosed with cryptic tonsils about 5 years ago and used a Water Pik to clean out my tonsils every other week. I hated it. Then, in early Jan. 09, I developed tonsillitis, which on antibiotics went away... Two days after the antibiotics were done, it was back. I was prescribed a stronger antibiotic for longer... same thing... got it a 3rd time. I told the nurse at the health clinic that I had had it, and wanted a referral to an ENT doctor--she said they probably wouldn't do a tonsillectomy, but she did give me the referral. The ENT doctor was great--he did recommend a tonsillectomy. Here's been my experience:

Immediately after surgery, I woke up coughing. I drank a whole glass of iced apple juice and rated my pain as 6/10--the nurse gave me a pain med in my IV, and then I had dry heaves from that. I got an anti-nausea med then, and I was fine. They had me drinking iced water from then on, and had me eat some animal crackers. I was given hydrocodone for pain and was told to take it every 4 hours, and then do 2 ibuprofen pills at the halfway mark in between hydrocodone doses. I realize this counters some of the advice given in these posts, but that's what I was told, and it worked--I fortunately had no bleeding.

Tips that worked for me:
1. Drink water all the time. And I mean all the time. I took water into the restroom with me, I had it by my bed--it went everywhere with me. I couldn't drink juice--in fact, today was the first day I could drink it w/o my throat screaming, and I'm recovering well.

2. You may want to try Fla-Vor-Ice popsicles (frozen, of course) instead of regular popsicles. It hurt for me to move my tongue a lot (my entire mouth and the glands under my jaw were really swollen), and I couldn't actually suck on a regular popsicle. But Fla-Vor-Ice popsicles were great because you could push the frozen stuff into your mouth, down that plastic wrapper that it's in. No sucking involved, which made things so much easier.

3. Chew gum. I thought this wouldn't work and would actually aggravate my TMJ disorder--nope. I've chewed gum starting Day 1 throughout this whole recovery, and that was the best thing.

4. I would strongly recommend eating something before you take a pain pill. When I did that, I was fine. The one day I didn't (Day 4--I took the pill and then immediately ate), I was nauseous all day and night, and very miserable. Even if it's a little bit of warm soup with two soggy saltines in it--for me, it couldn't just be a Fla-Vor-Ice. Had to be food.

5. Expect things to get worse before they get better. I was on a high on days 1 and 2--I felt sore, but not like I had had surgery. I was up doing light laundry, ironing, etc. And then it hit me days 3-5--I was in really bad pain, exhausted and sleeping nearly all the time, and I had ice packs on my neck constantly (that helps so much). Things then improved briefly, and then days 7-10 I was miserable again because the scabs were starting to slough off.

6. Stay on top of your pain meds. Yes, the nurses want you to sleep, and not set your alarm for your pain meds. However, I set my alarms, and it made all the difference--if I didn't, I woke up in agony.

7. Don't overdo it. People do think this is a great excuse to eat tons of ice cream--the whole "eat some for me" is so true. They do not understand. I slept a lot after the euphoric first few days wore off. I normally sleep about 6 hours a night--I slept 9-10 hours at night, and then took naps. I felt guilty about taking a few extra days off--I had planned on only taking 7 days off (giving me 11 days to recover, total), but I then took 2 extra days because the scabs were taking their sweet time coming off. And when I went back to work, and I was exhausted and nauseated after only 2.5 hours there. I went to the ENT doctor, and he said I was healing fine, but ok'd me for 2 more days off... This means I've had 12 days off from work, and I'm telling you... I needed them.

8. Yawning hurts, still does, and so do burps and sneezes. I learned to keep kleenex around--you can't hold in a sneeze when your throat hurts so badly.

9. When the scabs are coming off, everything will hurt. Water burned. So that's when I had pudding and Ensure drinks, because I could no longer handle the acid of the Fla-Vor-Ice popsicles. Other than these times, I had very little dairy.

You will wonder what the heck you were thinking in getting these suckers taken out, it's true. But aside from the fatigue I experienced at work, days 11-today have been so much better. I can't believe I don't have to clean my tonsils out anymore--I couldn't be happier.

Sorry this was so long, and again, thank you to all the posters before me who told their stories and gave some helpful tips--I owe you a debt of gratitude.

Here's my update at one week post-op: This is terrible.

It got much worse last night after talking way too much and eating sharp food at Easter Dinner. I think it set me back many days as I am again taking the max dose of Oxycodone and rinsing with magic mouthwash and am still in agony.

Canker sores now cover my tongue and my uvula is so swollen it is choking me. Food intake is down to nothing and even water or gatorade is agony. I hope to be pleasantly surprised and feeling better in the next few days.

I am still glad to have had the surgery and can't wait to get better soon.

Things are a bit more cheerful today, day 10.

I can see an end in sight, but it will be a few more days yet I am sure. For now I am feeling ok in the mornings and so I am doing as many normal things as I can. This morning I did some cleaning, laundry and played with my kids. Then I hit the wall.

When I got tired and started hurting, I took some pain meds and lay down for the better part of the day. Also? I hacked up a giant piece of scab.

Things are looking up.