This post is an extension of the

Tonsillectomy - swollen uvula and scabs falling off thread.

Please continue posting within this thread.

At 19, just had them taken out yesterday. After reading 8 pages of posts, I don't feel quite so bad. The oxycodone cap's make the perfect med because of the ability to be able to open a few in a shot glass of water and swallow, no bitter nasty taste of elixers such as Tussinex (hydrocodone) or Percocet elixer (oxycodone). The swollen uvula was the worst so in addition to my anti-nausea meds (only using prn) and the pain meds I started myself on a regimen of prednisone (a steroid). Seems to help the swelling and I had them laying around (if anyone else does, remember to TAPER them off, don't just stop. Try tid day one, bid day two, then qd for two days). Luke warm Cambell's Chicken Noodle soup is wonderful and gives you a "fuller" feeling than Popsicle's alone.

Sleep has been hard, had to sleep at an incline now my back is KILLING me. Had a knee operation almost a year ago and this is really giving that a run for it's money (discomfort and pain wise).

God Bless and if there are any others still recovering I pray for a quick and painless recovery.

I just turned 19 on april 16th, and I had my tonsils removed this morning. I am finding it very, very hard to swallow because of how swollen my uvula is. but, I am glad that after reading this, it seems normal.

I also had a tonsillectomy and my nose quarterised (burning slightly wider nasal passages,) nose feels fine just extremely blocked both sides. UVULA, yes, I say it in block capitals, underlined because its off the richter, feels like i have a worm dangling 3 inches down my throat. I've found this the worse due to the constant knowledge and reminders that it is there. Im barely eating just sticking to meds and water atm. Has anybody tried anti-histamines for the uvula? I know i have some laying around and that is truly the worst part for me, GL everybody.

What a great forum....! Just read through 8+ pages and don't feel alone anymore.....
I am a 37yr old male and I am on day 7
Day 1-3 Manageable, quite sore but able to drink and eat some small stuff and actuall get a bit of sleep :-)
Days 4-6 Nightmare! Meds were only useful for about 2 hrs, couldnt eat and even sipping small amounts of water was agony and sleep could only be managed in an upright position and not much of that....
Day 7 onwards... Have now turned the corner and can eat and drink again (only small quantities and after meds but hey...!) My dangly bit is still very swollen and my days are very yo-yo'e fine for a few hours then not soo good for an hour or so....
I'm from the UK where they recommend eating rough food to help clean the throat! - no bloody chance! not when even water made it sore :-)
All the best to those of you in the early days of this...... It will pass....

Just had my tonsils taken out yesterday. BRUTAL!
I am 44 years old and in great health/shape. I have had 2 kids via c-section and no meds on the back end so I thought I'd be ok.
Feel like I want to cough this gunk out of my throat (black and white) but know not to mess with it.
The worst is the uvula - scary swollen and hurts like hell!
I cannot lay down as it blocks my airpipe.
Tried a little yogurt etc but feels horrible and stinging.
I have a super high pain threshold but this is beyond my belief and I know I am not even to the super bad part yet.
But I am going to suck it and deal with it (no other choice!) ;-)

I'm 13 and just got it out today.

My swollen uvula is aweful.
The uvula is the MOST bothering and is the main thing that is keeping me from eating/drinking.

I don't have much pain except kind of a sore throat. but mainly the UVULA THING! D:

And I'm wondering, if you get it out younger does it hurt less? because others are older than me. and I want to know if my pain is going to be like thiers in a few days.

I can't even swollow my own saliva!

I want to know when this ends. its torture, and I've only recovered from surgery around 2-3 hours ago.

I am now on only day 3 of recovery time from my surgery. This is horrible. They have me taking hydrocodone and so it lets me sleep a lot but after I wake up I feel the pain again. I'm only 16 going on 17 years old and so my parents are a huge help to me in getting things that I need. I have tried to keep drinking water although it is hard to drink. I am hating this recovery. Tonight I have just got a nasty taste in my mouth when I was eating a popsicle. I had my wisdom teeth out about two years ago and I remember this exact taste from my mouth during that recovery too. I can still taste good things but I just do not have much of an appetite. I don't want to go out and do anything. I just want to sit at home and sulk pretty much. My uvula is very swollen and my throat is just very sore. Where my tonsils were at there is this yellowish greenish cottage-cheesy looking stuff and I think that is where the nasty taste is coming from too. I can't talk all that well because my throat is so sore. Even when I try all that comes out is like a whisper.
I just want to recover from this already!

I hope that anyone else going through this recovers fast. May God bless you.
This surgery sucks :/

I am 13 and i got out my tonsils today and the pain is bearable, i mean it doesnt hurt so much
where im crying but the problem is my SWOLLEN UVULA. In the recovery room the doctor went to check
on my throat before i went home just in case i was bleeding, and he said everything was fine
except my uvula is BIT swollen, but he says its normal for kids. So, when i went home i was still on the steriods
he gave me to make it less swollen, but when they wore off i looked in the mirror and its HUGE! It bothers me
when im eating/drinking and i have some mucus in my throat, and i cant cough it out cause it hurts and its
bothering me A LOT! Stupid uvula :\ Plus, did i mention the medicine tastes HORRIBLE? Oh well, this will all be over soon,
so i will just bear with it, or try to.

I'm 20 and i'm on day 5/6 and its not too bad, ive eaten toast, super noodles, ice cream and more toast! im so hungry but it does hurt to eat so it puts me off my food, oh i also had a burger king.... haha! but i was so hungry! the pain is bad and im on co-codamol but the worst pain is my ears! at night i wake up with a splitting headache and a ridic earache! im hoping this will ease soon. As someone said earlier i have better days than others and mornings are HIDEOUS but yeah make sure u have good people to look after you, and your friends pop over as long as they havent got a cold! luckily my friends can talk for me and them so i just sit and listen. :-D

Well I am 26 yr old male. I got mine out yesterday the 21 of July. When i woke up from sugery apparently i felt find, because I was asking the tech for her number. haha.. Anyway it was really bad last afternoon, at the hospital they gave me tylenol with codin and then 2 things of demrol which didn't help me at all. They gave me Lortab syrup which works pretty good. My uvala is huge which after reading through the posts I can see it will take some time for the swelling of it go down. The doc did tell me to stay on a liquid diet for a while and not to pic at the scabs and to not eating anything crunchy or tough, because it would be bad for the food to rip the scabs off and you bleed. He also told me to stay away from anything red, like red kool aid, red jello, red drinks. Today is day two of my recovery. I was hoping I would be able to recover pretty fast, but I was not ready for the pain that this bares on someone my age. So if anyone cold post anything else that is going on between now and the scabs falling off that would help me out, I would greatly apprectiate. Thank you all for posting the posts and helping each other out.

I'm a 14 year old female and I got my tonsils removed two days ago. I've already eaten mashed potatoes and have gone farther than most people on their fifth day. I find vitamin water helpful and chicken noodle soup at lukewarm the best. I'm just nervous about the scabs...Do they just go down without you noticing? do you have to pull them off? do they hurt when coming off!? I just have those questions. I'm on percaset (sp?) liquid and its about the worst thing ever. every 4 hours. The pain goes up and down everyday, it gradually gets worse as the percaset wears off. Pain meds ARE your friend in this situation. And as for the mucus? I just deal with it and swallow it. Any answers on the scabs? i'm really nervous.
TW

hey I am the 26 yr old right above you, today is my 6th day and that scabs have started to come off but u dont even notice, you might feel a tickle but don't bother it, don't pull on it or anything, just get you something to drink and go about you day. The scabs coming off are not as bad as people say.

Hey there, im a 30 yr old female, and i had my tonsils removed last Fri Jul 31st, I was wondering when you start to get any relief, today I ate some applesauce (which I had to FORCE myself to get down) and ive had some chicken broth and some ice cream as well. I dont recommend the icecream because of the extra mucus it seemed to give me. What I was wondering is when will I start to get some relief?? I have yet to feel any better and my throat and ears are awful! No scabs have came off that I realized and I guess they should be anytime coming off as well. Do you feel better and start to heal better when they come off?? Im just ready to eat and feel better cause right now I feel sooo weak and nausea cause of not eating.

I had my tonsils removed tuesday andwere the tonsils were it is fine not much pain but my uvula is the thing that herts and kills to drink eat anything. By reading these passages i can see it normal! But Sugary day was fine i could talk eat pudding and got up and walk around, i said this is going to be a peice of cake i have had sore throats worse then this. Then day 2 came ear aches and sore everywhere didnt bother to get up tryed drinking and just barly could.3 wasnt so bad still ear aches and sore but not a bad as day 2. Black and mucusy and gross, i can breath fine but i like chock when i swallow. day 4 and 5 are getting better as they come. still sore and cant drink much, and cant even eat have not ate anything for the past 5 days! :-P