I'm 37 years old and I had my suregery on 10/28/10. I was wondering how long before I can yawn....can anyone shed some light? It hurts so much when I try.

I also wanted to take this opportunity to post my day-to-day recovery. I've learned a lot of things during this process that I'm going to share and I hope to make someone's recovery a speedy one.

This is Day 11 post-surgery and I'm feeling so much better than most folks on Day 11. I've read so many postings from folks regarding their recovery and they are scary. I'm posting this because I've learned A LOT in the last 11 days and I want to pass along some great tips to help others going through this.

Day 1- Day of surgery was okay. I threw up in the hospital, upon being woken up, because the nurse was insistant on getting the Carafate in my throat. That was NASTY! Regarding pain...I really didn't feel any pain. I was completely grogy and out of it because of the anesthesia. The nurse gave my a slushy to eat and upon being released, she had to give me another syringe of Carafate. I got home and took the liquid antibiotic (Amoxicillin) and took a pain killer (Hydrodone). I tried to eat and had a few spoonfuls of jell-o and some raspberry Sobe juice. I started feeling completely nauseated about an hour later and threw up ugly style...about 4-5 times. It was the anesthesia in me. I proceeded to eat some chicken broth a few hours later and threw up again. Oh it was awful! My mouth felt completely thick and nasty. I slept upright using an upright reading pillow. These are great! I didn't sleep much because I was fearful of my mouth getting dry (hence pain would kick in). I set my alarm to wake my up every 30 minutes to drink water. Needless to say, sleeping was a luxury that I wasn't willing to participate in. Waking up after only being asleep for an hour is excruciating! TRUST ME! Try your hardest to sleep in 30 - 45 min intervals.

Day 2- Pain level was relatively low....I would say a 4 on a 10 point scale. Everything that I prepped for myself, to eat, didn't work. I love jell-o and made every flavor possible. I never thought that I wouldn't want to eat it, post-surgery. The reality is...I tried to eat the jell-o and all I could taste was the artificial sweetener. I spit it out. The same think happened with popsicles. I couldn't eat them...they were too sweet. I ended up eating mashed potatoes (super smooth and soft) on day 2. Thanks goodness for mashed potatoes!! Also, I had to eat about every four hours...because that's when I'd have to take my meds. On Day 2, I was feeling quite good so I decided to call-in to the office talk to folks do some work. This was a HUGE MISTAKE. Talking so much after the surgery takes a toll on your body. It sure as heck did for me. By the time evening came along, I was beyond exhausted and pain started to kick in.

Day 3- Pain level increased to a 7. I had to make sure to stay a head of the pain meds. I was taking them every 3 hours. I was eating pureed beans, which was great because I needed the nutrients and protein. I tried to see my throat but couldn't get my mouth opened enough...it was still too sore. Also, I drank water like crazy.

Day 4- Pain level increased to a 9. I was in agony. I was having to take pain meds every 2 hours. I still couldn't eat jell-o or popsicles. I had no energy and could hardly eat anything. I drank as much water as possible.

Day 5- 6 Pain level still high about an 8. My body was feeling like c**p because all I could eat was sunny-side up eggs, chicken noodle soup broth and pureed beans. I needed more nutrients. I was finally able to see my throat. It was scary and gross.

Day 7- Pain still an 8. Also, I had a set-back. I developed an allergic reaction (hives) to the meds. My doctor took me off of everything for 24 hrs. I was SCREWED! I couldn't believe it! This set-back ended up being the BEST thing that could have happened to me. The first 6 hours AFTER I took my last pain med, was tough....I'm not going to lie. I drank SUPER COLD water (ice cold) to get through the pain and it worked. My break-through came when I realized afer 6 hours that the pain had subsided to a 5. It was very tolerable and I didn't need pain killers. I concluded that I was relying on the pain meds way too much. I slept a little that night (45 - 50 min intervals). One more thing, my scabs looked thick and I didn't see any improvement in my throat from the previous day.

Day 8 Pain was a 6. Still very tolerable and no meds. Throat still looking the same....no improvements.

Day 9 Pain skyrocketed to a 10! I got my new meds and they didn't seem to be effective. The reality was that the scabs were beginning to very slowly fall off and it was incredibly painful. I had a burning sensation in my throat , with every sip of water. It was awful. I still ate the same stuff. On day 9 I was in a funk...and I was worried that the scabs were going to take forever to fall off and I was going to be in excruciating pain forever. It was at this moment that I realized that I needed to get major nutrients in me and I needed to change what I was eating, so that I could heal faster. I went to the store and bought a ton of produce (carrots, celery, spinach, cucumbers, kale, apples, etc.). I have a blender so I made a juice out with carrots, celery and cucumbers. I drank about 12 ounces of it and I could not believe the amount of energy that it gave me. Not to mention the fact that my pain started going down tremendously.

Day 10- Pain is a 5. The fresh vegetable juice changed my world! I was FINALLY getting rich nutrients in my body and it was healing super fast! I looked at my throat and it had improved 20 times from the previous day. The white saggy scabs were almost all gone on right side! I was ecstatic! Why had I not done this sooner?! Also, I stopped taking pain meds altogether.

Day 11- Pain is 3. I made a juice using spinach, kale, celery and cucumber and again I improved tremendously from the morning to the night. Now, the scabs on my left side are disappearing at record pace. I'm feeling fanastic today! I ate 2 eggs and 3 pieces of toast! I also made a soup with squash, zuchini, onion, garlic and chicken broth. WOW! It's delicious and incredibly nutritious for my body.

KEY TAKEAWAYS:
- DRINK A TON OF WATER!! The act of swallowing helps to heal your throat! Plus, you don't want to get dehydrated because the pain is too mcuh...stay hudrated.
- EAT & DRINK NUTRIENT RICH FOODS! I REALLY wish someone had told me how fast the healing process can be simply by consuming fresh vegetable juices and soups. It has CHANGED my outlook on the healing process. I'm telling you, if possible please get a blender and blend as many green vegetables and fruits (with water). Your healing will excelerate tremedously!

I hope this post is helpful. Since finding such success with the vegetable juice, I wanted to pass it along. My only regret is that I didn't start drinking it sooner! I wish everyone a speedy recovery!

I need to know when I can yawn again and my taste buds come back. I'm two weeks post op and I am going insane still!

I had mine a little over two months ago, I still have pain yawning and still haven't gotten all my taste back, I've heard after around 3 months or so the pain goes away and its more of a tightness but I've heard of the taste not coming back for a year or more. Wish I'd known that before hand...

I'm on day 2 of the surgery and on pain killers... Surprised that I can eat cheese sandwiches without the crust and also can have mash potato.. I read so many people can't eat.. And also as soon as I woke up in recovery room I had jelly and icy poles...

It depend on the person I guess I started eating rice and noodles on the 3rd day.... And no pain at all after day 8... But I was on antibiotics and narcotics every 6 hours

I was fully recovered in 12 days and even had kfc lol

Blow air out when you yawn.. No pain....

Wow that actually worked... as weird as a yawn that was, it hurts way less.... could just be in my head?

Did that vegetable soup really work then? I can make some ?