Hi everyone,
My name is Lisa. I'm a 37 year old mother of a 1 year old & 3 year old. I've had tonsillitis more in the last year than I can count & each time it got worse and worse. I saw two doctors & they both suggested a tonsillectomy
I'm a huge worrier. I've had three surgeries & was never scared like I was for this one. The stories out there are horrible. BUT I will say, having read them made me prepared for the worst & so far it's been nothing like I read.
Yesterday I had to be at the hospital at 6:30 am. I was given an IV around 7:30, I remember drifting off at 7:40 and woke up in recovery at 8:20! I didn't feel the IV at all!
I expressed my extreme fear of vomiting to the anesthesiologist. I had taken an anti nausea pill that morning too. I wasn't the least bit queezy at all - this whole time.
So I woke up with Oxygen on. I usually bawl when I wake up from surgery but this time I felt euphoric. I felt like I had the best sleep ever. I wasn't in pain but I was afraid to talk. It was a bit hard to talk but no pain. They brought me a popsicle & that felt good. Slightly hard to swallow but no worse than when I had strep.
They brought in a 2 year old who had caps & was just waking up. It was breaking my heart so I asked to be with my husband. They brought me into a second recovery area, sitting up, with my husband. They gave me another popsicle, and two lortab for the drive home.
I slept most of the drive home. We did stop at one pharmacy and I walked around and felt ok.
I got home and took my meds, drank water & napped on & off. My husband was super strict with my water intake & pills. He'd actually wake me up from naps to drink water. I think that's why I'm doing so well.
I managed to sit outside in the sun with my kids & a friend that stopped by. I was definitely in the honeymoon stage. I think the anesthesia was still in me but I felt great.
I had sorbet, jello, lolipops & popsicles throughout the day.
For dinner I tried some broth from homemade soup but it had tomato base & hurt a bit. Water helped.
I went to bed with the alarm set for every three hours to drink & take meds. I did cough a few times that scared me but it was ok.
Day 2 - I was a bit more sore for sure but NOTHING like I expected. Believe it or not, I ate a few pieces of Hershey Chocolate bar - which was heaven! I had butternut squash soup for dinner - heaven! I even managed to eat a few baked cheese curls since they pretty much melt in your mouth.
I was rigid with my meds and tried to drop from 2 percocets to 1 since I itched! I also had benedryl for the itching last night.
I am extremely pleased with how this is going. My uvula is swollen but overall it's not too disgusting back there. My doctor told my husband there was NO blood at all during the procedure so none went into my tummy, so no throw up! It amazed me.
We'll see what day 3 brings.
DRINK DRINK DRINK. Water, Gatorade (the low cal stuff is much less sweet & I liked it) Use numbing lolipops, stay on top of your meds and keep positive.
Don't over do it and rest as much as you can.
Good luck.
I do have white spots on my swollen uvula that look like strep but I hear that's normal. That's the only negative so far - the swollen uvula.

Thank you so much for sharing the details of your experience. The details were important because people who are fearful of something want to hear more than, "It will be O.K." You have provided information that will give people some probably expectations. This is great and this is what this health community is all about. I'm so glad that your experience turned out well after experiencing so much fear. You are a trooper. Please continue to share with us in such a specific way. It's informative and extremely helpful. Thanks again and good luck.

I am so glad to hear about a good experience after a tonsillectomy. I had my tonsils and adenoids removed today and am extremely surprised how well I am doing. Yes i have a very sore throat but after dealing with a sore throat off and on most of my life im pretty used to it. when my ENT finally said "lets get rid of those things" i was kind of shocked. I was relieved to think that my battle with tonsilitis and the most disgusting tonsil stones would finally be over, but i was also scared to death hearing of the horror stories of getting them out as an adult. I am a 30 year old wife and mother and RN. Anyway i went home and looked up info online about the procedure and what people had to say and i was absolutely horrified! For 2 months when i thought about having to get the procedure my stomach turned, i couldnt believe the things people wrote about it.
Yesterday we stocked the kitchen with:
popsicles
orange sherbert
frozen yogurt
regular yogurt
vanilla pudding
chicken broth
instant mashed potatoes
Today was the big day, i was a nervous wreck before the procedure but was surrounded by big supporters and great nurses who made me feel much better. When i woke up after the procedure i asked to sit up, it felt weird to lie flat, like something was stuck in my throat. I later realized that my uvula was so swollen it was touching my tongue and that was the feeling i felt. I had warned the anesthesiologist prior to the procedure that i get nauseous from the anesthesia drug so they pre medicated me with zofran which i really think helped a ton, its harder to chase pain and or nausea and better to take something if you know you have difficulty.
In the recovery room they gave me Fentanyl and Toradol for pain, they also gave me decadron for extra nausea which helps with swelling as well (its a steroid). Ice chips were my BEST FRIEND! they sent me home with percocet 7.5 which has worked well so far, unfortunately its in pill form which i crush in pudding but it tastes terrible, i would definitely request liquid. When i got home i had chicken broth ***very important about soup--it must be room temperature(luke warm) or cooler. The heat from the soup can dilate blood vessels and increase the chance of bleeding.**** i had luke warm chicken broth and let a few oyster crackers soak in broth to get really soft, chewed them with my front teeth and was fine, i needed something in my stomach while taking pain meds. i also ate some orange sherbert, very yummo.
So, i am now 8 hours post op and happy that i am not as miserable as i thought i would be.
My advice would be similar to most, ICE CHIPS and WATER or other fluids. and STAY ON TOP OF YOUR MEDS. Do not 'wait" and try to chase the pain, set an alarm and get up and take it, at least for the first few days. I dont know what the rest of recovery will bring but at this point i am pleasantly surprised. GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!!