I am suffering from multiple sclerosis but my grandfather had a disease called cerebellar degeneration. After I did some reading, I learned that multiple sclerosis could lead to cerebellar degeneration too and I would like to know what are my chances of developing this disease too since it runs in the family? Thank you

As far as I know, cerebellar degeneration usually results from inherited genetic mutations. These genetic mutations can alter the normal production of specific proteins essential for the survival of neurons, so I suppose you may be at risk but I cant tell you anything with certainty. I myself have multiple sclerosis induced cerebellar degenerations and my problems are tremors. I have undergone a surgery called deep brain stimulation in which they implanted a thin wire in the thalamus and connected it to a neurostimulator implanted under the collarbone. This neurostimulator should help stop the tremors by interrupting signals that cause them. I suppose you need to talk to your doctor about this risk of cerebellar degeneration.

Would like to know how aarika is doing now.
I was diagnosed 13 years ago with Multiple Sclerosis, but worked out that it started approx 27 years ago. Still doing fine with weak left leg and arm. I was a long-distance runner, but due to balance and vertigo problems, stopped eight years ago.

MRI scan a year ago showed cerebellar atrophy and also atrophy in other parts of the brain. This affects my ability to find 'time', eg months, years, days of the week, dates and other numbers. Although I have a Financial Managing background, I now can't do figures, untangle any cables, and really need to concentrate hard to keep my thoughts together.

Immune-marker test showed typical Shogren-syndrome markers. Recently I developed sore joints, with two fingers pulling scew. It is quite painful, but fortunately on the left hand which has very little feeling and almost no strength. This arm also shows almost no reflexes when tested.

I was on Betaferon injections for 18 months, but stopped a year ago as it made me very ill. Not sure if the Betaferon caused more brain inflammation. Now just coping on solumedrol drips when necessary.

What is the prognosis and what can I expect in the next few years?