For the last three years, if not longer, I've woken up every morning with a serious stomach ache and nausea. It makes it difficult to get through the beginning part of the day -- every bite of food I take, I feel like throwing up, and I can't eat very much (half a bagel). It only begins to feel better after I've eaten and digested food. As the day goes on, the more I've eaten, the better I feel and the more I can eat. Consequently, I can only really have a full meal at dinner time; I then get hungry every couple of hours.

It feels like having a really bad hangover (I think; I didn't start drinking until after the stomach problems came up). I don't want to move or do anything, I don't want to eat but know that I won't feel better until I do. I'm 21, male, 6'1" and 140 lbs (underweight, probably because of the eating problems). I really have no idea what might be causing the problem. Any thoughts? Anyone experience anything like this?

I've got the exact same problem. It started last year around christmas time and was completely random.
I've never felt such terrible pain in my life and it got so bad that I quit eating all together because of the pain and nearly died.
I'm 16, female, 5'11 and 125 pounds. Clearly also severely underweight.
I've been to every doctor under the sun and none of them can find anything wrong. It's started to affect my life so badly that I had to drop out of school, I can't maintain a social life and my family is emotionally tired and fed up with it all.

I'm currently waiting to try out some IBS medication on top of Celexa which I had to start taking because I developed severe panic attacks because of the pain.
I've had stomach problems since I was about 9 years old but they disappeared for quite a few years and only just showed up again a thousand times worse.

Have you been tested for Celiac disease by an Gastroenterologist.
My daughter now age 10 was plagued by stomach aches since early childhood. The pediatrician kept saying "kids have stomach aches" and she had lots of ear infections also eventually needing tubes.

She didn't sleep through the night most nights thrashing and crying in her sleep.

Long story short, I finally took her to a gastroenterologist, they did the scoping of her intestine and she had celiac disease. The inability to digest any wheat, barley, rye, etc. and that had messed up her whole digestive process. Dairy was bad, many fats were bad, some oils passed through undigested, some nuts the same.

It has taken a couple of years of no wheat, a year and a half of no dairy and she is finally able to eat without stomach aches most days. She still has a few fats she can't have at all, though can have dairy now. It was a hard road with everyone telling me that there was nothing wrong.. also she was of normal weight so they'd say to me that she was obviously thriving. NOT!

You should not give up wheat until you are tested or it will throw off the test. They have to see if the villa on your intestine walls have flattened or not. There is a blood test but it isn't totally accurate. Especially in that it can say you don't have it if you do, not so bad if it says you do, then you probably do.

Food intollerance and allergy can be another cause, that takes making diaries etc. to see what might cause it. That's really hard though and takes a long time and lots of work. One friend has found great relief in using the "eating for your blood type plan" there are books. She swears by it.. in her case... blood type O, can't eat wheat or dairy. .. amoung other things!

Good luck.. but get tested if you haven't already, 1 in 103 people have Celiac, especially Italian, and European family backgrounds.

You should have your bedroom checked for mold.

Wow, my heart goes out to you man because I have the EXACT same problem. I'm a male, 23, 6'0", 140 lbs. Every morning when I get up, I have severe stomach aches and neausea. It is very hard for me to eat at first. I often have to entice my stomach with the comsumption of natural herbs (take for what you will). I cannot eat anything spicy the night before or my morning stomach ache will be worse. If I have more than 2 beers before I go to bed, my stomach will be extra bad. The odd thing is that my diet is OUTSTANDING. I have oatmeal for breakfest, a sandwitch and hummus & crackers of lunch, and meat & potatoes & veggies for dinner.

You mentioned that you are underweight becuase of your stomach problem...well i feel the opposite...I feel like I have an eating problem becuase I'm underweight. I have a feeling that the root of my prolem is a fast metabolism and that the reason that I wake up every morning with a bad stomach is because I have no food in it. I am going to start reseaching foods that stay in your system longer and try to stick to that sort of diet.

Please continue this post, becuase it sounds like our stomoch problems are similiar :!: :!:

I have the same thing wrong with me ! im going to te doctors tomorrow to see what they can give me. i'm 14, turning 15 in two days. im female , 4"11' . and i weigh my right weight, but every morning when i wake up i feel like puking my guts out. and i cant eat because then i get sick to my stomach even worse. My mom thought i was faking, until i told her i wanted to go to the doctors to see what was wrong. and i hate going to the doctors , so now she finally believes me.

Hello everyone. I have the same problem as you guys. It has been going on since high school. I am 22 6'3 and about 270. I am overweight, not severely as I was pretty stout in high school and weighed 240, so about 20-30 lb's probably. But anyway, I have horrible stomach aches every morning and cannot eat at all. Drinking pop really makes it worse and especially alcohol. I am searching for someone that has found a way to make it stop as I can never eat until about 2:00pm or I feel like puking.

I am 21/f and also have stomache pains in the early hours of the day. I think our problem could be acid reflex, especially if spicy foods worsen the problem.

I agree with mrswentworth, if your stomach has considerably high levels of acid, and you eat breakfast, it seems to go into overdrive and you get massive levels of acid activity which leads to diarrhea and that sick feeling.

I went to my GP and got some tablets that were designed to lower my stomach acidity levels, i found that these helped somewhat but also taking metamucil every day and night is important too. Having said that, theres no stopping it sometimes...

My advice would be to try those couple of things and also make sure you dont eat just before you go out in the morning, give your stomach an hour or so to settle before you eat. Have some metamucil and green tea (or other herbal tea, no milk) in the mean time and then have a light breakfast with plenty of fruit, grain and water. Keep doing that consistently and you should notice a difference.

good luck :-)

I get the exact same thing ( i think) i'm 6'1, 24 years old male and probably a little underweight. If i get up earlier than my body wants to (which is all the time) i get a sicky/nausea/gripping pain about in the pit of my abdomen about 2inches down from my breastbone. Means I cant eat for at least 3 or 4 hours after waking up because of the pain/sickness. The only time it dosnt happen is on the rare occasion that i get to have a lie in and wake up naturally instead of being woken up. The only thing that calms it somwhat is a pint of warm water or ''herbal'' remedy (not the type you buy from healthfood shops if you know what i mean).

I wake up mostly every morning to bad stomach aches..especially if i wake up early..it feels so bad and the only way to feel better is to go to the restroom..funny thing is that i only get them early in the morning..then i could go through my whole day without any stomach problems.. and anything i eat at dinner or at night will strongly effect me in the morning.

I am so relieved that I have found this site. I too have “morning sickness”. It started for me at 17 years old. When it did start I was terrified that I was pregnant. Many test proved I was not. I am approaching 30 and can only hope that it will go away. The morning sickness like others only happens when I do not wake up naturally. I too will vomit if I smell or see something unpleasant. Bless my husbands heart he can not cook anything in the morning because it will lead to me being sick. I can sometimes fight it but will feel horrible until lunch. Other mornings I will vomit and immediately feel better, then can go about my day like nothing happened. On the days that I wake up naturally are the days that I am thankful for. Other symptoms that I have experienced is an incredible pain in my lower back it can best be described as a throbbing pain, on days that occurs I will have very painful cramps leading to diarrhea. I sometimes wish that I could blame this on being pregnant because then this would be a matter of months rather than the almost 13 years that I have been suffering. Today was the breaking point for me, I keep barf bags from airplanes in the car just in case I need to pullover and use the bag, and I was trying to use the bag this morning and slightly missed. No need to explain further. I am determined to find a cure for this and when I do I will make a bracelet and share them with my fellow mates with “morning sickness”. I have not been diagnosed with anything yet . I am going to see a family friend who happens to be a gastroentologist. .I have done some searching and will keep the board informed with the findings.

The only thing that has worked for me is throwing up. Once I have cleared the acid/bile/bacteria, or whatever it is, the bad feelings go away. I can move on with my day and hope tomorrow morning will be better. As for the throbbing pain and the diarrhea I am still uncertain what this is and how to cure it. I am hoping to get a real answer soon because this is no way to live life.

I've had the same problem as everyone except that I dont get diarrhea or have to vomit unless I drink black tea. Amazing how this only happens when we wake up earlier than our body wants to. I dont know about everyone else, but I usually get enough sleep, 7hrs a night, anything more than that will make me feel really tired the next day. So its not a question of whether I'm getting enough sleep, it's a matter of what time I wake up in the day, too early and my stomach will hurt like a m%$#@. Perhaps this indicates that its healthier for some people to just wake up naturally, not forcibly by an annoying alarm clock. I have also ruled out being pregnant because I too have been experiencing this since highschool. It got worse in college, only during days where I have to get up early for class and then now that I have to be at work 7AM everyday. I am 22, 5'4" and 105 lbs if that helps at all.
    My stomach pain responded well to Prilosec but returned after a couple of months. It says I'm not supposed to retake the whole course of tablets at least 4 months apart. I certainly dont want to overload myself with it. Any advice on this?

I'm another with the same problem. Stomach pains in the morning when I first wake up, and then they subside after a couple hours or after I manage to force something down. Found the "herbal" remedy to be quite effective, but its not something I can afford to do every morning, so I'm out looking for new answers.
    Has anyone found anything that has worked yet? I'm 19 years old and 6'2" and 230 lbs so it can't be completely associated with normal/underweight people.
    It also seems odd that it's mostly teenagers that posted about this problem, maybe its age related?

I too have the same problem. I have not found a solution to this. I am having this problem for 10 years now and it is getting worse and worse all the time.

I wake up after about 5-6 hours of sleep to an insane stomach ache. To make it go away, I have to visit the toilette, walk some and then drink a lot of water.

I have explained this to maybe 10 different doctors, no help. I have gotten medicine for ulcers and acid reflux, neither has helped any.

My symptoms:
    - wake up to pain in the morning
    - ulcers in the mouth
    - veins popping in legs

I have searched online for an answer for God knows how long and I have visited this thread already for two years I think.

Many of my symptoms are consistent with Crohn's disease. I have had colonoscopy and a load of blood tests taken, but it has not shown up in those. I am not a doctor, so I have no idea if you should swallow a camera to make sure if it is Crohn's or not.

I am 30 years old, 177 cm and weigh about 80 kilos. Yes, I am European and I have no idea how those convert to American feet and pounds... :-P

Anyways, if there is someone who sees this cry for help and has an idea of what is going on, please e-mail me at _[removed]_

Also, if you are suffering from the same thing, please e-mail me and let's compare the symptoms. This seems to be some really rare thing we are suffering from. People are e-mailing to this thread every 3 months and you will probably forget about this otherwise. I might even start a blog around this... Maybe then I could collect the data. I am fearing that what will happen is that people will find out what is wrong with them but of course they will not come here to tell others the reason.