Hi. I notice while I'm in bed (laying in all positions) a wheezing or gurgling sound when I exhale. Anyone familiar with this?

About 3 months ago (Dec. 2006), I got very sick. High fever, chills severe back and chest pain. Ended up in the ER, got antibiotics and symptoms subsided but never really went away.

Now I'm left with the same exact thing. Wheezing on the exhale when laying down or I get this wierd gurgling sound on the exhale as well.

I also now have night sweats which developed during this wierd illness.
I've been to Infectious Disease Dr, Cardiologist and Pulmonary and no-one has yet to fgure out what it is.

Have you had any tests? Did you have a respiratory Infection prior to these symptoms?

I am curious to know.

... I noticed this same thing happends to me only when I am lying down and when I exhale.. Wow.

the same thing happens to me. when i cough or exhale though it seems to go away for about 20 seconds or so... also sometimes my back (lungs) itch with this.

I have a feeling this may be due to allergies.

Anyone found out yet?

Me too. I am 39 years old, Male, in good shape. I had a bad bronchitis that turned into pneuomonia. Heavy wheezing. I was hospitalized for three days (11/18 to 11/20), given albuterol, azithromicin, prednisone, the works. I had a chest X ray that came out clear and Chest Cat scan that was not totally clear on my right lobe. It was a bit hazy. I went to my Primary Care Physician and a pulmonologist. Both looked at the Chest Cat scan and said it is not normal but nothing to be too concerned about becuase it was taken right in the middle of the infection. I had a pulmonary function test where the result were pretty good.

My pulmonologist believes that the flu (which my Primary Care Physician thinks it was the Swine Flu) brought up a pre-existing condition of asthma. I got out of the Hospital on 11/20/09 and had wheezing for 2 weeks after on exhale. I have been on Symibcort enhaler ever since. I can not believe I have asthma. I never had any signs of it and I am very active. I just think the doctors do not know what it is.

Now I have the same symptoms that you all have. Very slight during the day but at night time when I lie down or wake up in the morning, a wheeze along with a gurgling after I exhale. I am thinking of going to another pulmonologist. I am back at the gym and do not have problems at all. Everyonce in a while I have a tough time taking a full satisfying breath which is the feeling I had before I went into the hospital. However, I really think tht may be psychosomatic. The more you think about how you are breathing, the more problems you encounter.

The Wheezing/gurgling sound is some type of fluid in your lungs, or mucus trying to escape. It's probably walking pneumonia. I had two 10 day courses of antibiotics to clear it up and all I'm left with is the uncomfortable tickle and wheezing/gurgling sound on exhale. I started taking Albuterol syrup--2mg/5ml--2 tsp. every 6 hours along with some of my own breathing therapy. I breath in slowly and deeply, then exhale quickly forcing the air out and it helps to break up and break out the mucus. That, along with the Albuterol syrup every 6 hours has helped tremendously. I've noticed the wheezing sound on exhale has become almost non-existent. My stomach muscles are a bit sore though from all the constant coughing. It's getting better though. Hopefully tomorrow my muscles will be feeling a bit better and I can cough the rest of this c**p out of my lungs!

Good luck!

I have an 18 year history of an on and off debilitating tickle in my throat, sometimes left side, sometimes right, that is usually worse at night and causes me to cough so bad that I end up gagging. I've been treated for asthma, GERD, allergies, you name it. In the last few months, I've been taking Prilosec each morning, and now the weeks long episodes of the itch are not as severe. With or without the itch, I have begun wheezing at night on the end of the exhale. Recently I've been having anxiety attacks, and my breathing is sometimes short, hard to take a cleansing breath, or tight, like it feels when under water snorkeling. I wake up around 2am, go to the bathroom, and find myself short of breath and can't sleep well. If I do fall asleep, I wake again around 4am with the same issue. It turns into a wheeze upon exhaling, and the anxiety starts again. Yesterday morning, I was very anxious and my breathing was short and tight. I decided to take 2 Xanax (doctor prescribed it but I don't like to take that stuff for fear of getting hooked on it). The anxiety went away, and my breathing was normal all day. Tonight I woke up again at 2 and 4, short breath, wheezing at the end of the exhale as usual, but this time not anxious. So here I am trying to find an answer to this one. I'm seeing a pulmonary specialist in 10 days because a week ago, I coughed up some pink sputum. That was new for me. It hasn't happened since, but I may as well check it all out again. I should also mention that I'm 5'4" at 215 lbs, so mildly obese and have been for years. This last year I started eating whole grains, avoiding sugar and sat. fat, and my weight is slowly coming off. My blood pressure is high normal, and my cholesterol is about 215, down from 265. I have no trouble breathing when I exercise. Go figure it all!

It is amazing as I am searching the website for some answers of my own symptons, I find this. Some of the same.

Last July I had an upper respitory infection that lasted about 3 weeks. I was on antibiotic for 10 days. It seemed to go away and I was feeling great, but I developed this cough. The cough seemed mild at the beginning, but I also noticed a slight gurgling/wheezing in my breaths. It happened as I was running, following a meal, etc., but was not constant. I started to watch what I was eating and thought it could be acid reflux.

After a few months, my throat began to hurt and I went back to the Drs. My throat was fine and he second my motion on acid reflux and started me on prilosec. It seemed to help some and I certainly watched what I ate and drank.

My cough seems to be getting worse and I am noticing it more at night. I have some slight hoarseness when I am talking and am always clearing my throat. My Dr says take 2 prilosec and call me in the morning (the usual take my office visit money).....

Any suggestions ??

It is 5am. Once again, I woke up with wheezing on exhale. All kinds of noises. Walked around and coughed up a bunch of sticky goo, and slowly getting better. I'm pretty sure I have asthma, but without insurance I can't make sure.

I have every symptom of every one of your previous responses...

You're not alone in this.

I just started this ANNOYING gurgle and wheeze about 5 months ago. I freaked out when it first started. I quit smoking but still have it. It isnt daily. (well it is now that I'm sick) I did find out I am allergic to cats..only after I had adopted 2 of them. I just cannot believe that is the cause of this though. I am saying that because Albuteral isn't helping to relieve the gurgle either..and I take clariton daily. But maybe it is the cause?? IDK. Alls I know is that it is scary and annoying and I will do anything to make it stop. Mine, like the others, is worse when reclined or laying down.
I am currently in a battle with an upper respiratory illness. I have passed the fever and now its on to the constant cough and Post nasal Drip. I have the most severe Wheeze and gurgle upon exhale that I have ever had. I have been drinking constant fluids and take cough suppressant, nasal flush,allergy med. Nothing is helping it.
I have multiple reasons for having it but no doctors will tell me what i should do about it. My Primary said it is thickened mucus walls and to drink alot of water...bla bla bla.Not working.

My symptoms exactly. I had a very strange flu like ilness 6 months ago (very sore throat and very enlarged lymph nodes) and I was lelft with wheeze/crackle in my lungs. It was a lot worse about 3 months ago, it seems to be a bit better now, but I do wake up from time to time wheezy at night. I have sometimes sore throat and cough up a string of sticky yellow or amber color mucus. I went to my local GB and pulmonology specialist. They have tested me for asthma and did not find any. The test came back all clear. They said they will test me again 3-4 times for asthma. I read that mycoplasma and/or Chlamydophila pneumoniae might cause similar symptoms, but the doctors would not test for either.

I am up after 2 am looking for answers as well. I do have allergies and am bothered with bronchitis or pneumonia every 24 months. A year ago when my husband was in the hospital for unrelated issues he came down with a very bad respiratory illness and did not survive. I believe I too caught it and during the funeral and afterwards (nearly 8 weeks) I had pneumonia like symptoms.

In June I began having severe allergies and was really affected in my eyes which were very puffy and itchy. I was on two kinds of drops, one for allergies and the other was a sulfa drug for infection. I just happened to be on a 3-week= vacation and these drops kept it at bay but did not cure the problem. When I arrived back home I went to my doctor and he prescribed prednisone which helped for the week I was on it but the symptoms re-occurred but not as bad. Then came the sinus like infection which went immediately to my lungs just as it did a year ago. I began the eye thing in mid June and the chest infection for the past 4 weeks.

The reason I am posting is because I am experiencing night sweats but no fever and wheezing when I exhale. I need to take a codeine cough syrup to get to sleep as I cough when lying down. Last night was particularly concerning to me as I had difficulty breathing. I will probably go to the doctor again tomorrow. I really need to get over this stuff.

Last year I believe I did have the swine flu because it was so severe and went to pneumonia and this seems similar but not as severe.

I usually take an antihistamine daily, but have stopped taking it to try to get all of the stuff out of my lungs and antihistamines just make it even stickier. Sounds gross I know. I am also drinking lots of water and taking Mucinex to cough up what I can. I am a real mess but mine began with an allergy and sinus infection gone bad! Just wondering if there has been some residual issues of that swine flu I believe I contracted while in the hospital with my husband.

First time I've posted anywhere. I've recently seen an MD who is holistic. He has 11 board certifications. The past 3 years in Sept./Oct. I get asthmatic bronchitis. Apparently it started again 4 days ago. Allergy tested a few years ago showed that I am highly allergic to ragweed which blooms from Sept. thru Nov. When at Dr. Sollazzo's office, he mentioned a book he read, "Your body is not sick it is thirsty for water" ***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed . Since the other day I've figured that I am constantly dehydrated and stared drinking more water. Still not enough (only 40 oz.) but it seems to be helping break up the mucus. I will be going to my regular MD (they just take money) if this doesn't get better in a day. Look at the water cure web site. It makes sense. The reason I'm seeing Dr. Sollazzo is hormone imbalance. I'm a 41 year old female. Two of my previous drs. said, "you are getting older" That was the answer I got when I was 37 and started having symptoms of hormone imbalance. Great answer, right? Oh and gargle with warm salt water, I think it helps.

I have had all the same wierd gurgling and wheezing symptoms mentioned by others. It started 3 months ago, when I got a bad sinus infection which traveled to my lungs. The doctor told me it is asmathic bronchitis, and will last 6 weeks. That was 3 months ago. I have had 4 packs of steroids, solumedrol packs; 21 days of levaquin, Avalox for a week, and Amoxicillin for 5 days; also inhaled steroids and bronchodilators. The infected green mucus is gone, but I have this constant wierd gurgling, wheezing, bubbling sound with exhalation, especially when I am lying down. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT IT IS OR HOW TO GET RID OF IT? The doctor as usual says give it time, but honestly after all those drugs and 3 months I cannot see what more time is going to do.
HELP! ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use

I just recently kicked the flus ass out of me naturally, 2miserable days. I had a 102 fever, chills, headache and felt like a bus hit me, every bone in my body was killing me! It may have been the swine. Anyway now i have this cough and i cant get musus to come up. When i exhale it a gurgling,bubbly sounds. What can it be?