Last year I was diagnosed by my doctor with mono. I am a 35 year old woman who is otherwise an extremely healthy person. I am rarely sick. I exercise at least 5 times a week and maintain a healthy weight.

When I went to my doctor last year, I had been experiencing strange symtoms such as a high fever with violent chills (on one occasion) that was followed by intense joint pain for the next two days. After that, the joint pain continued intermittantly in my wrists or knees. I would experience shooting pains in my arms and wrists and swelling and pain in my fingers on both hands. Sometimes the pain would be so intense that I couldn't do such mundane chores as washing dishes. On one occasion after the other symptoms subsided, I had pain in my right underarm. The doctor ruled out Hepatitis, Malaria, Lupus, and Lyme Disease. After a battery of tests, the doctor told me I must have had mono. I also had hightened liver enzymes during that period of time, and strep throat.

During the course of this past year I still get occasional joint pain. But recently, some strange symptoms began to crop up again that have concerned me enough to write this post. Every now and then I get pain in my right underarm. The pain is quite strong when I touch it or put on deodorant. It is also slightly swollen when this happens. It usually subsides after a day or so. I woke up this morning with sharp pain in the right side of my neck when I swallow. I've also experienced this symptom before. These two symptoms seem to be connected (imflammation of lymph nodes?). One other strange symptom occurs when I am out in the cold. On a couple of occasions I almost passed out due to extreme pain in my fingers caused by the cold. My skin also itches more frequently than the normal person. I had never experienced any of the above symptoms prior to last year.

Could there be some link between all of these symptoms? Is is necessary for me to again visit my doctor? If the tests for serious ailments came back negative, what could it be? Could there be false negatives? Hopefully it's nothing! I would like to get pregnant for the first time in the next year or so, and I want to be in optimum health. Any insight you can give me would be appreciated!

Hi Clove,
I am very curious about your experience because mine is very similar. I am 29, and also recently had mono. I have such horrible pain in my shoulder/chest area for the past 2-4 years (started 4 years ago in one arm, and is now in both over the past 2 years). The pain has progressed and is now very intense every day, and shoots in my chest, neck, and down arms. My hips are also pretty stiff and I am very achy. I have never had health problems. I fear that I will be disabled if I cannot figure it out. I have been to over 30 doctors. A couple have thought that it is indeed Lyme Disease, but the tests are very questionable. Lyme and Lupus can be very confusing, and have false negatives, and positives.
Please let me know if you have had any resolution of these problems.

Thank you,
Courtney

Hi Clove,

My experience has been very similar to yours. I am 29, and have had mono. I have intense pain in my shoulder/chest area. It shoots in arms, neck, and chest. I have been to 40 doctors trying to figure it out over the past 4 years. They think I am crazy. Were you ever able to find a diagnosis or solution?

Please let me know!

Thanks,
courtney

Hello and my sympathies to you all. I have had similar symptoms, pain in underarm(s), inability of my body to regulate temperature, COLD hands and feet, pain in spine between shoulders. Seems like I had every test known and no answers until a Lyme specialist did a BLOT TEST which showed positive. Another Lyme test taken prior was negative. After six months on meds I was feeling MUCH better but meds finished and down I went. Same symptoms came back. Now I'm just waiting for my Doctor to get back from Vacation (couple of days) and I'll be back on the meds. If you think there is a possibility of Lyme, HAVE MORE TESTS-SEE MORE DOCTORS. Get Help.
Best of luck to you-I've been there and don't want to go back.

Hello everyone,

I want you all to know that I share your pains! I have the exact symptoms that you all are describing. I have been to numerous doctors specialists and to a medical research center. I'm 44 and I tested positive with the Epstein Barr (mono) about four years ago. I have the same problems and no answers. I struggling with swollen lymphnode under my arms and severe shoulder pain which prohibits me from using my arms a lot. I also have a nodule in my index finger and the pain runs down my entire right arm. I have pains in the chest that radiate to the right shoulder as well. Help!!!

I am glad I found this posting because I was starting to think I was crazy. In 01/08 I had a premie baby caused by preeclamsia than a few months later found out that I had mono. A month after having mono I got a very swollen left knee which the doctor gave me a cortizone shot for. After that the joint pain moved to my left index finger and left shoulder, then my right hand. It is extremely painful. My right hip and abdomin started to hurt also which landed me in the ER because the nurse at my regular doctor's office was afraid I could have appendicitis. I have lived like this for at least a month and can't even do the lightest of housework or pick up my baby now that he is home. My husband has to do most of the work. I was told at the ER that I have gout and psudogout which normally happens to older men. I was given percoset and gout medication. No doctor believes it is caused by mono. I DO!! I checked the internet and found that mono causes joint pain and that if I do actually have gout that is can be caused by a sickness. I only hope this medicine will work. I will find out in the next few days. God bless and I hope all your pain stops, as well as my own!

now 49 /M I have some of the same feelings ..started going (for the first time ever to a primary ...done a number of test (including TB) last few mos. I have had the underarm soreness mainly in the am ,but usually subsides through the day , also flare-ups of acid reflux just to add to the mix /over all fatigue...just did a couple good rounds of solom skiing yesterday(i've skiied for 25 yrs now..and will go again this week...this underarm thing really caught my attention ...I do bluebery+++ shakes in the am 3-4 times a week multi vitiman daily..but over all feel like sh*t 3-4 days a week in the last 1 1/2 yrs ...primo can't nail it down...1/2 of me wants to call it the over 40 syndrome , but my "better" 1/2 of me says some kinda micro-bacterial something. You know the immigration thing and what un-known gifts they have brought here for us with really makes my mind move. To many people i know feel the same way.I am (or was) a "very" aggresssive person till lately ....Visits to the hospitol to to family members have almost stopped...it almost always has a quarinteened section of patients with some kinda c**p dasiese , the best thing i can tell anyone else is EAT right anti-oxy's daily ,till someone figures out just what the hell is going on in this country...im in MD where are all u others from?
ps. I had 2 kids (girls) bring home 1-mono the other memingitus last school yr. thier immmune systems are much stronger than ours and seem to get over it ,or at least appear to get over it with much more ease than us older "more experienced" farts.. If there is a cure sombody please post !!

I just read ricksl12 post, and it could so easily be me. I am a fit and generally healthy 42 year old man; I swim competitively still, and maintain a healthy weight and lifestyle. I try to eat right, and take supplements often. I have had a pain, mainly in my right armpit for over two years - my GP just said it was muscular from swimming, but I was suspicious. Modern life can be stressful, but this year has been particularly bad with family issues- I know that that can add to physical symptoms, but recently, it has started to get somewhat out of control. After a bought of feeling c**p yet again, I went to my GP who suggested a test for Mono. It came back positive, but said that I was in the recovery phase - but I don't recall having the normal first symptoms (swollen lymph nodes and sore throat). I was told to just get lots of rest and not play contact sports... A few weeks ago, I was bitten by three ticks in the woods in VA, and went back to the doctor, put on antibiotics before the Lyme test came back as a precaution, but after the test was negative, I finished the course and left it at that. That was two weeks ago, and since then, I have had massive back pain, shooting pain down my arms, itching skin and today, random pain all over my body. I don't have a temperature, chills, fever, shivers or any of the normal flu like symptoms, but lots of abdominal pain. Sometimes the back pain / shoulder pain is like a "Vulcan death grip" - it actually takes my breath away. I am prone to worry and I know that this can have a negative effect, but the pain wakes me from a sleep at night. So many times I have been told that it is "just stress", and that it can be "coped with", but I just am so tired of feeling ill all the time. As ricksl12, I am also in Maryland...

Hi everybody,
I feel the same as you, It is so anoying that doctors cant figure out what it is.
Did anybody find out smth?
I don't have any swollen joint, but instead I feel itchy around the joints and my low back and back hurt really bad, I have some sharp pain in the joints sometimes.I developed cold urticaria which is really bad, and some sensitivity to strong sun or fluorescent light. Every time when I'm at Walmart I start feeling noisea and chills, or I have to go to washroom right away. I have a positive ANA test 1:80. Nobody knows what it is. This is ruining my life, I'm trying to get pregnant but I'm afraid that smth could happen.

Hi all

I'm in england and i'm looking for answers pretty much the same as you. Three years ago i was diagnosed with RSI in the left wrist. I was a musican until this. Then i began to develop tennis elbow in the right arm and also golfers elbow. Soon after i developed tennis/golfers in the left arm. In my left/right arm I have nasty pains in my biceps and i also have a nasty pain in my left ring finger. the pain can get so bad in this finger i can't even wear my wedding ring. recently i developed four areas of pain along my spinal area. these are really bad at times. I also have pains in my right hip and aches and pains generally all over. I have had pains under the armpit, like an sore rash like swelling. I've recently have an operation on my left wrist which only time will tell whether i recovery well. I've had all the injections a human can possibly put up with and no joy at all. before christmas i lost my job because of this and so you can imagine i'm more or less at the end of my tether.

I did wonder whether or not I actually died and forgotten about it!!!!!

Joking aside i don't know if i'm suffering the same as the rest of you but my symptons are in some cases the same.

Hope you all get better

Hi I am 35 years old and also a very healthy person, until now. I have been sick for over a month and I am just waiting for my mono test results. I have every symptom. I slept for the last couple of months a lot and then this month I have had extreme aches and pains, sensitivity to cold, nauseousness,loss of appetite and now strep throat. Just today I started experiencing joint pain that is quite severe. Its in my knees, elbows wrists, neck, back and fingers. this really sucks because i have 3 children one of whom is 9 months old and likes to be carried a lot. But in answer to your question, I have heard from some people that mono can leave some people with fibromayalgia (I dont know if I even spelled that right) Both my mom and sister suffer from fibro and I really hope I dont get that. But it could be something for some of you to look into.

Hi everybody,
i'm so sorry for all of us, we deserve to feel better. I am 30 years old. I had a sore throat and frequent cold when I was small. Starting one year ago I have joint and muscle pain, tired, boots of positional vertigo, cold hives. I became very sensitive to cold and heat. My hands hurt a lot when in the cold, and fingers turn red. I'm loosing hair and I have shortness of breath. I feel sick under fluorescent light or sun, I don't have rashes but I feel noisea and shortness of breath, also diarrhea. I have some anxiety problems. One year ago I had ANA 1:80, now turned 1:160. I have tennis elbow, back pain and sciatica. I'm trying to get pregnant but I wasn't able . This makes me very sad because I would like to have a baby now as long I am still healthy. My husband and family support me but sometimes I became very worried. Also muscle twitches and tingling in hands and feets. I also have an itchy vulva and skin itchiness and sting sensations all over. I have a history of diabetes(my grand mother).
Could be Lupus, Lyme or smth else??It is so frustrating

I am 30 years old and have very similar symptoms. I had mono when I was a teenager, but not since. My sed rates are off the charts high. I have been to three family doctors, two rhemotologists, and a host of er doctors, with absolutely no resolution or explanation other than a very generic diagnosis of fibromyalgia. If one more doctor tells me I am depressed I think I will become homicidal!!! So far I have been prescribed, Lyrica (side effect severe panic attacks), Celebrex (side effect severe stomach cramps and vomiting), Nurontin (just started no luck yet), Ultram (very little releif), Vicodin (not strong enough), Percocet (decent releif but makes me foggy), and Morphine (works great but I can't function cause I'm completely looped)...........alas this is making me crazy and I need desperately to find an answer. I have three small kids and at times I can't even get out of bed. If anyone finds an answer other than Lyme disease which I am certain it is not as I have never been bitten by a tick, please post and I will as well. Good luck to all of you, we are far too young to feel this old!!

Boy, I am in the same boat. I started with pain in left arm bicep, very bad sharp pain when i moved certain ways and also lift arm high. Then pain in forearm and then underarm and looks swelled there. I went to orthopedic doc and he felt lymph glands felt no no swelling of glands, did xray which was normal and now has me started don 7 days of steroids drug for inflammation's. Scary part is now I am getting it in my right arm. Dull arce on bicep, pr forearm like a toothache in your arm, sharp pain under arm, some tingling or burning in the ski. Not fun. Anyone know more yet please tell me. George

As a 44 year old female, I'm experiencing a few of the same symptoms - sensitivity and pain under right underarm and joint pain - elbows, hip and shoulders. Other symptoms have gone away with my diagnosis of celiac disease three months ago and it's literally changed my life. The fogginess, leg cramps, leg tingling, lethargy and ibs are gone and I have my life back...except for the joint pain. They originally thought it was fibro but I don't have it in 8 places. And after reading the posts I wonder what the connection may be - I had mono as a teen, recently tested negative for rheumatoid arthritis and lyme. I think I'll go in for additional work ups after reading the postings and will let you know. Thanks!