I recently saw one of my students holding her friends 2 month old daughter by the under arms and allowing the baby to put all of her weight on her little legs standing on a table. I had always heard that not only is this not advisable, but could do damage to a little one's legs that young. Is this true?

hi, a newborn's legs aren't strong enough to support them, but if you hold them upright under his arms, they will dangle their legs down and push against a hard surface with their feet, almost as if he's walking. This is a reflexive action and will only do it for a couple of months. following this they will naturally begin to sit crawl and finally stand from approx 8 months. as long as baby is supported then there is no reason why any harm should be caused. hope this helps

I would let both my boys stand up like that from an early age (about 2 months) and they loved it. I do it now with my nephew too. Like the other person said though, they need to hold the baby under the arms or around the waist or something, holding onto the actual hands or arms isn't going to give enough support and I would be worried about the arms because babies are so delicate and their joints pop anyways.