Hi, I am 47 years old male and I am suffering from occipital neuralgia for some time. It started after I had car accident and got strong hit in the back of my head. Since then I am experiencing pain which is sometimes pretty strong. I would like to know if there is some treatment I may use to get rid of this pain.

Hi, pain in occipital region of your head is caused by accident and injury you got then. Such pain also may be caused by tumor. In this case nerves which are placed on the beck of your head are injured and that is the reason why you feel the pain. Massage may be useful if pain is not too strong, sometimes when you feel the pain it may be just enough to lie in the bed and it will pass. If pain becomes stronger then you would seek help from neurologist.

Get to a good doctor. Ask for an Opiate painkiller, like vicadin, not much else helps me. Plus Zanaflex for the muscle spasms you get in the scalp, face and inside the head. You probably have pain in the shoulders and neck too, this all is very good for those. Ice can help, but don't lay it on for too long.

I have occipital neuralgia and you need to go to the doctor to get a nerve blocker to be sure that is what it is.In extreme cases they do surgery but generally a nerve block helps