Hi, I was diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia two days ago, when I asked my doctor about strange sensation that I’m having in my face. He told me that I should take trileptal, and that I probably won’t need the surgery. I was scared when he mentioned surgery. Is this condition dangerous?

It can be serious. For example, trigeminal neuralgia can lead to life-threatening malnutrition and suicidal depression. But these are the worst scenarios, don’t be scared. It’s usually just painful and unpleasant condition. Fortunately, there are drugs, such as tegretol and lioresal, which can help you deal with trigeminal nerve pain. Most experts think that the cause of trigeminal neuralgia is damage to the nerve as it passes from the openings in the skull to the facial tissue, but they’re not sure. The others think that it has something to do with biochemical change in the nerve tissue. The pain is related only to one nerve, so it’s important to relieve the pressure to that nerve.

I have suffered from trigeminal neuralgia for the last 2 years. Before I was diagnosed, I suffered extreme pain down the right side of my face which would sometimes be quick and then other times it would last for hours. The doctor prescribed tegretol which most of the time works but unfortunately not all the time. Sometimes I feel like I'm over dosing myself with pain relief and medication. I'm seriously considering getting surgery but I'm also afraid. The pain is sometimes so bad that I will hit myself in the right side of my face just to numb the pain. Would like some advice on what to do?