Hi, I have a strange sensation in my face, something between brief pain and electric twitching. My mother told me that it is probably a condition called trigeminal neuralgia. Can anyone tell me some most important things about it?

Hi, I use tegretol for trigeminal neuralgia, and it works for me. Trigeminal nerve pain is so strong, I can barely deal with with it. Sometimes, I even have muscle spasm in my face, and some stabbing shocks. It is happening only on one side on my face, and it comes and goes like a seizure. Your mother might be right, maybe you have trigeminal neuralgia, but there are other possible causes for facial pain, so I think you should be examined by an expert. For example, facial pain can be caused by unusual forms of headache. As I said, tegretol is helping me, but it is not the only medicine for trigeminal neuralgia. You can also use dilantin and lioresal.