Hello, I have a problem with my baby boy. He suffers from seborrhea on his scalp, and while I was looking at his head I noticed two little lumps at the back of his head. I heard that there are occipital glands in that area. What happens so that they get swollen? Should I be calling a doctor? Thx

Occipital glands respond to infection or inflammation of the scalp. As your child has seborrhea, this is probably the reason these occipital glands got a big bigger. These glands can be more prominent ‘cos of a rapid loss and re-growth of your baby’s hair. It can then take several months for the node to go back to its normal size.

hello my 18 year old son has had a cough for a few days now along with a itchy feeling in the back of his throat. Today however he came home with a knot on the back of his head. He said it had been larger earlier in the day along with a bad headache that went away and the swelling had gone down considerably. He has not hit his head on anything so this rules this out. I guess I'm wanting to know if a common cold can cause these lymph nodes to swell? We would appreciate your answer. Thank You, Connie Stidham