Hi, I have a severe pain in my face. I was reading about atypical trigemenial neuralgia few days ago, and I am so afraid that I could be diagnosed with it. This condition is called a “suicide disease” because the pain is so severe that many people take their own lives. What are the chances to be affected by atypical trigemenial neuralgia?

Chances are very small that you suffer from trigemenial neuralgia. Only one in 15 000 people has this disorder. Did you go to doctor or is this your own diagnosis? Trigemenial neuralgia, or Tic Douloureux, is a neuropathic disorder of the trigeminal nerve. It causes severe pain in the lips, nose, eyes, forehead, scalp, and jaw. Yes it is very painful, but there are medications and a surgery that can help with the pain. People who suffer from trigemenial neuralgia say that the pain is similar to electric shocks, and it affect one side of the face at the time. Atypical neuralgia is a variant of trigemenial neuralgia, where the pain is more like burning or prickling, rather than a shock. Often, when doctors don’t know what is causing the pain, they say it’s atypical facial pain.