I've heard trigeminal neuralgia can occur after routine dental work. Does anyone know how long after the dental work this condition sets in? I had some fillings done 3 1/2 weeks ago and now I'm getting pain in that quarter of my mouth, upper left above that row of teeth. It's mild so far, but I've heard it can develop gradually and become excruciating. Any chance it could just be a sinus issue, like sinus pressure on the nerve? Thanks for any help.

I was diagnosed with this last year and after many months of being a inpatients and blood tests and other examinations - I was finally dianosed as suffering from Temporal Arithis.. the symptons are very very similar but with headaches...

so make sure they do full blood tests and if necessary - get a second opinion.. and yes it can be very painfully, I couldn't eat properly for 3 months and lived on yoghurts, smoothies etc.. as I could not chew anything at all... 2 hours to "eat a sandwich.. lol..

Kia ora, I was diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia about 2 years ago, but have been suffering with it for 4 years. I actually got my wisdom out because I thought my wisdoms were pushing down on the rest of my teeth. But the pain was still there after that. At the moment, the pain has been constant - yip Im eating yoghurts, smoothies - anything liquid. I can chew but the pain is not worth it. I often save the chewing for the food I really like. I know its not my teeth as when I touch them they feel the same..... It was suggested that I take Epilepsy pills as it is the nerve in that area are convulsing and agitating that part of the mouth - it is so annoying. Im too scared to take anything conventional as I don't like taking drugs - is there anyone out there with an alternative??????

I am taking Neurontin, whicis has been increased since the pain got so severe that I couldn't think straight. I take 1200 mgs. Three times a day..I tried to cut back but the pain came back worse than ever. I did go to the dentist and finally went to an endtodontist because he checked the nerves in my lower right side and found an infection in a capped tooth, that never had a root canal done. I am getting it worked on this coming week. I know afterwards I will be pain. I hate taking meds too, but after the tooth situation is done I may try acupuncture, because I heard this may help..plus I was told by an herbalist that vervain on intent would help.  Won't try the herbal meds until I try the acuputure. it is amazing that after reading so much on this condition, that dr's still don't know the cause. y friends and massage therapist said if I get rid of some major stressors then it will most like ly go away!