Hello. I'm 34 year old female and I'm really worried about my little daughter. She is only 5 years old and this really worries me.
You see, just recently I have noticed that she has some occipital glands a bit swollen and painful.
I didn’t notice this earlier and I'm sure it has something to do with her present flu like symptoms. Two days ago she started too caught and suffers from high body temperature.
I thought it isn’t anything serious and didn’t take her to see her GP. Did I make a mistake!? Why are these glands so swollen and could it be something serious!?

First, I would like to tell you that I really doubt it could be anything serious but anyway- I think you made a mistake for not telling this to anyone. All I know about these occipital lymph nodes is that they are placed on the back of the head close to the margin of the muscle called trapezius. Their vessels drain the occipital region of the scalp and pass to the superior deep cervical glands.
They are swollen in many conditions such as strep throat, angina, infective mononucleosis and others… What you should do?
Take her to see a specialist because maybe some mild antibiotics are all she should take. Don’t be afraid of doctors, especially when we are talking about 5 year old child! Good luck!