Hello. I'm 45 year old male and I would like to hear more about possible connection between hypothyroid disorder and obsessive-compulsive disorder or OCD.
You see, few years back my sister has been first diagnosed with depression and used antidepressants for two years. Then, on some psychological evaluation, her diagnosis has been changed to obsessive- compulsive disorder although she doesn’t have all symptoms of neither one of these. She also doesn’t respond to drugs like she should to. I have talked with one doctor and he told me that she should definitely be checked for thyroid hormones because there is some connection between hypothyroidism and OCD?
Does anybody know anything about this?

Well, this is definitely a very serious and complex question and I will try to explain you everything I have read about this.
Hypothyroidism occurs when thyroxin (T4) levels drop to the point that the body begins to slow down. I know this sounds simple but several aspects of this are still a mystery.
This wasn’t medically revealed, but it is proven that there is a connection between this thyroid disorder and some behavioral disorder such as depression and obsessive-compulsive disorder. If this is the truth- then it means that treating the primary problem- hypothyroidism will treat also all consequences in the same time.
She should definitely do some thyroid level blood test!

The TSH is pretty useless for looking into OCD and depressive symptoms of hypothyroidism. I find it is often to do with Hashimotos disease so tests for TPOab, TGab, FT3 and FT4 are better even if a TSH is done just to complete the set.
OCD can occur more if there has been long standing hypothyoidism and the body metabolism has slowed and the adrenal glands have taken up the slack. A saliva test for cortisol is useful because if this is out it can really mess with your mind, especially together with unbalanced thyroid hormones.

To put it simply your HPA axis needs balancing to get rid of OCD.

lotsa luv
Dawnx