Hi, my husband convinced me to visit a psychiatrist. I am not sure it was a good idea, because it turned out that I have some mental disorder, OCD or something like that. I don’t think there is anything wrong with me just because I’m trying to live with a pure hearth. What is scrupulosity anyway?

Hi, I suffered from OCD-scrupulosity in my late 20’s. Just like you, I thought there was nothing wrong with me, but years of therapy convinced me that I was wrong. Scrupulosity is religious obsessive-compulsive disorder and it is a problem that must be treated. I grew up in a catholic family, and was raised to respect and follow all the religious rules, perhaps too much, because it caused me OCD. I was so scared of making sins and going to hell, that I started having remorse for most of the things I have done. I had obsessive fear of sinful thoughts, and because of that trauma, I never even had a girlfriend. For each sin, I had to make a confection not once, but two or three times. Even a priest thought there was something wrong with me, and he wasn’t surprised when I told him that I was diagnosed with scrupulosity. Consulting therapy helped me focus on a bright and positive side of religion, and helped me realized that we are only humans, and that our mission isn’t to be perfect, but to give our best.