Lately, I have noticed that my 12 years old son is washing his hands all the time. Also, sometimes he is counting for no reason. I am afraid that he has obsessive compulsive disorder. I have to say that here have been cases of mental health problems in my family. What should I do? Can someone tell me more details about ocd?

I advise you to take your son to the doctor, because what you have told me, sound like OCD. However, I can't diagnose your son like this, so in order to be 100% sure about his condition you need to take him to the doctor. Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder is an anxiety disorder that is characterized by recurrent and unwanted thoughts (obsessions) and repetitive behaviors (compulsions). Repetitive behaviors such as hand washing, counting, checking, or cleaning are repetitive behaviors that are often performed with the hope of preventing obsessive thoughts or making them go away. However, performing these "rituals" provides only temporary relief, and not performing them increases anxiety. People with OCD may be obsessed with germs or dirt, and wash their hands over and over. Also, they may be filled with doubt and feel the need to check things repeatedly. OCD strikes men and women in approximately equal numbers. It usually first appears in childhood, adolescence, or early adulthood. The course of the disease is variable because symptoms may come and go, ease over time or can grow progressively worse. Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder generally responds well to treatment with medications or carefully targeted psychotherapy.