Hi, I am very worried about my son. He is twelve years old. He was always very concerned with his personal hygiene, but now I believe that things have gone too far. He brushes his teeth on every hour. He has also started to show too much interest in keeping his room clean. The staff in there has to be in exact order and my son is willing to spend hours in arranging them. The problem is that this behavior has started to interfere with his school performance. I fear that my son suffers from OCD. Could you tell me is there something I could do to help my boy?

Hi, obsessive-compulsive disorder is a mental condition that can seriously affect person's everyday life. It is true that the signs you have noticed in your son's behavior are consistent with OCD symptoms. This is a very complex condition that you will not be able to solve on your own. The best thing you could do is to take your son to a psychiatrist. Only a professional will be able to assess your son's condition. If it turns out that he really suffers from obsessive-compulsive disorder the therapist will talk to you about necessary course of treatment. The therapy combines behavioral therapy and drugs. Although OCD cannot be cured, the right treatment will help your son to put his life back on track. You should also show your love and support for your son. His state of mind is making him feel very frustrated and your support will mean a lot to him.