I have an enlarged thyroid, not huge goiter size, but definitely noticeable and uncomfortable. I also have symptoms of hypothyroidism, such as a basal temp never above 97, weight gain regardless of diet or exercise (from 140 to 170 in 8 months), very dry rough skin, and thinning hair- almost no eyebrows, mild depression, and sluggish glucose processing. The problem is, my TSH comes up normal- 1.9- but I still have all these symptoms. Should I try to convince my doctor to do a TRH? Or should I just suffer? Any help would be appreciated.

Kristina

you definately have signs and symptoms, just because the blood tests he has run doesn't say much doesn't mean the Free thyroid hormones are optimal, nor does it means that your cells are getting the hormones.

I would definately keep on at him until he does something for you.

good luck
Dawnx

Forget about the thyroid levels. Those tests arent conclusive, do a google search and you'll see, (my husband HAS a giant goiter and they still wont diagnose him with hypo, I am and I am treating it) Get your iodine levels tested, the US diet alone does not include enough iodine and the little that it does gets cancelled out by all the soy in everthying, not to mention on the chemical level, all the fluoride in toothpaste and drinking water. I just found out (a year later) that last nov they flouridated my county's water and do you know that was the only dietary change and six months later my husband has a goiter bulging out of his neck! Not to mention my sisters asthma has been off the charts this past year and my mother has been having constant severe migraines, which btw iodine has been helping and her memory has been improving too! She had a bad migraine the past couple days, I think from detox as thats another thing the iodine does, and some feverfew and 5htp from the healthfood store stopped it in 30 min.

Thanks for the help. I've read iodine can actually cause health problems itself. I do know my GP agreed to meet with me to discuss this further. I'm going to see her on 2/16, and I'm taking research with me that shows you can have a completely normal TSH and T4, and still have problems because your T3 is out-of-whack. My cousin (who's a doctor) says I should have my doctor do an entire hormone level check. She says other than the low basal temp, everything could also indicate low estrogen. So, we'll see what my doc says!

Kristina

For info about Iodine to take to you doctor and so you can find out more for yourself, check out TheIodineProject.com

Anything that has to do with your thyroid, affects your liver. Remember, your thyroid is a mid-point between your pituitary/hypothalamus and your liver and adrenal glands. THOSE are the ones you want to target b/c in turn, it is what affects your thyroid. Detox those and cleanse your lymphatic system and blood and you'll start seeing a huge improvement!
-ND