Hello. About three months ago I have noticed that some strange things are happening to me. I'm 37 year old female and I have never had any problems with my body weight but, like I said, three months ago I have started to gain weight although I didn’t change any of my eating habits. Also, I have noticed that I sleep more and that I'm getting tired earlier that I used to.
I've contacted my GP over this and he told me that I have all symptoms of some thyroid disorder. So, supposedly, I will be sure only after some TSH test. What should I know about this test? One more thing- about a week ago I was diagnosed with vaginal candidiasis and I'm taking some antibiotic? Will this affect the test results?

Hello. I know some facts about this TSH test because I'm thyroid patient for a long time now. TSH test is one diagnostic method in which level of thyroid hormones are measured in blood stream. The interpretation is easy: if TSH is high or if your T4 is low- you suffer from hypothyroidism and if your T4 is high and TSH low- we are talking about hyperthyroidism.
Many factors affect the level of thyroxin that circulates in the bloodstream, including normal fluctuations. Conditions which are diagnosed by means of a bacterial inhibition assay could give false results because antibiotics kill the bacteria, so the test must be repeated. Talk with your doctor about this!