I have heard for many different types of medical team, but only few days ago I have heard something new. I am 50 years old and I have never heard there is occupational therapist that helps people. I have a friend who decided to have their help so I want to hear more about it. Could you tell me what does occupational therapist do? I really need to hear more because maybe I shall need his help on my own once.

Occupational therapist help people improve their ability to perform tasks in their daily living and their working environments. They work with individuals who have conditions that are emotionally disabling or who have some mentally, physically, or developmentally problem. They also help people with some problem to develop, recover, or maintain daily living and work skills. Occupational therapists also help clients to improve their basic motor functions and reasoning abilities. Beside this, however, their role is to compensate for permanent loss of function. Their goal is to help people to have independent, productive, and satisfying lives as they used to have before. Occupational therapists assist patients in performing activities of all types, ranging from using a computer to caring for daily needs. Physical exercises may be used to increase strength and dexterity, as well as some other activities. Occupational therapists also use computer programs to help clients improve decision-making, abstract-reasoning, problem-solving, and perceptual skills. Therapists instruct those with permanent disabilities, such as spinal cord injuries, or muscular dystrophy, in the use of adaptive equipment, including wheelchairs, orthotics, and aids for eating and dressing.