I used to have low back and buttocks pain, with numbness and muscle tightness. Those symptoms were aggravated by standing, walking and some other activities. It started to annoy me so I visited doctor. He confirmed by X-rays doubt it was spondylolistesis. I would like to know something about treatment I should take.

When your doctor determines that was the spondylolistesis that causes your pain, he will try nonsurgical treatment at first place. Here are included a short period of rest and anti-inflammatory medications. It can be taken orally or by injection, to reduce the swelling. Also in use are analgesic drugs to control the pain and bracing for stabilization. For improving your strength and flexibility there is physical therapy and exercise. All this will help you to come back to more normal lifestyle. You should follow your doctor’s directions too if he tells you to rest, and this should be limited to a few days. It would be very goof for you if your doctor with help of nurse and physical therapist begin education and training. Goal is to learn you perform activities of daily living without placing added stress on your lower back. If all this, and medication combined with therapy fails to provide relief, there can be ordered additional tests. That could help providing greater details so doctor could plan further treatment.