Hi im 19 and ive been cutting since i was 11. Ive been abused my whole life (sexually,physically.emotionly) and nothing seems to help.i can go probably 2weeks tops without doing it but the pain always resurfaces and i cut again. I see a therapist n take meds...but i always have this burning desire to cut. What are some thing i can do...i really just cant stop

Hi , im sorry to hear this ! .. i think you should just keep continuing to see your therapist and take your meds and go see a doctor too and tell them that and i think sometimes the reason people cut themselves is because of boredom and because you have too much time on your hands so you start thinking of bad things .. so go start a new hobby to keep your mind off it and keep busy .. hope this helps :)

Yeah I agree with bella100 about this. I'm 14 and I cut for about a year and I'm recovering. My reasons were a lot less severe than yours are. Yeah, just try to keep yourself busy- maybe go on the computer, watch TV, read or talk to your friends. If that doesn't work, then try exercise. Best of luck. - Rachel

hey, im sorry, im the same age and used to cut to all the time. the only thing i found that actually worked was to replace it with something else, then back off of that. instead of cutting (bec to many people were noticing) i started to bite my cheeks lips anydthing, but slowely back off, gum helps. i know this isnt doc approved advice but im letting you know what has helped for me. ive gone through the same and you are not alone.

Hi, it's ok :) I had this problem too for about four years. I started when I was ten and couldn't bring myself to quit until I was 14, and tbh, I still want to every now and then. I'd become horribly depressed and didn't want to deal with life, figured I was worthless and just cried to no end.

I know, it doesn't sound like a good reason to quit when cutting seemed to have such a good hold over those symptoms. But, subconciously, it seemed to be a way to manage an illness I didn't know I had. I was bipolar, but not severe and I'm definitely not crazy.

This doesn't mean you are, and you're definitely not alone. If you use the cuts as a way of coping with stress or emotions, though, you may have a clinical disorder that can be helped :) Again, that doesn't mean you are crazy.

To help take my mind off of things I go so involved with others, their problems, got into activities at school or within my community, and held ice cubes to my hand and fingertips - does basically the same thing but doesn't have a lasting, negative affect!

I also chew my lips as a nervous habbit, but if you do that please use chapstick... haha I learned it the hard way :)

What you need to do is find out the uses of positive affirmations as well as replacement, healthy coping skills that you can use at a moments notice INSTEAD of inflicting harm on yourself. Make a contract with your therapist or someone that you love, stating a time frame in which you will not cut.

I hope this helps a little.. I've been there before. Stay safe, love.